GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jiangtao

display speed comparison between version 10.0 and 9.2

Hi,

As I have described in another post here: I have experienced a lot of difficulties working with a high-resolution coastline in SMS map module. It takes a long time to load the coastline and any operation, such as zoom in/out, select a node/arc also take a long time to excute. But what I discoved just now by accident was that the same procedures worked at least 10-time faster in my previous version of SMS 9.2! What's going on?

I also checked to see if that's because I was running SMS9.2 in demo mode (my license key only works with SMS10.0). I tried to do the same things in SMS10.0 demo mode too but they were the same slow.

Anyone else noticed the difference?

Thanks,

Jiangtao

Hi Jiangtao,

Do you have any other data in SMS besides a coastline file?

I don't think I have ever seen someone use a coastline file with that many points. If you use a coastline file with that many points to generate your mesh, it would certainly be larger than SMS can handle.

I'm sorry for your frustrations. Could you please contact our technical support and give your coastline file to them? Tell them to get it to me. I will use it to try to make future versions of SMS faster.

Hi,

As I have described in another post here: I have experienced a lot of difficulties working with a high-resolution coastline in SMS map module. It takes a long time to load the coastline and any operation, such as zoom in/out, select a node/arc also take a long time to excute. But what I discoved just now by accident was that the same procedures worked at least 10-time faster in my previous version of SMS 9.2! What's going on?

I also checked to see if that's because I was running SMS9.2 in demo mode (my license key only works with SMS10.0). I tried to do the same things in SMS10.0 demo mode too but they were the same slow.

Anyone else noticed the difference?

Thanks,

Jiangtao

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your reply.

No. The coastline is the only data I have loaded into SMS. We're not trying to use that high-resolution coastline to directly generate mesh. It would be just used to define the accurate water-land interface later on. What I'm trying to do here is to convert the original shape file to map file and do the necessary cleaning (such as connecting segments, deleting false arcs etc) in SMS.

I have just emailed the tech support my coastline file. Hope that can help you to figure out the speed difference between SMS10.0 and 9.2 and improve the future release. At the same time, do you know if it's technically possible for our SMS10.0 license key to also work with our SMS9.2?

Many thanks for your help.

Jiangtao

PS. I just got the email notification saying that my email to the tech support couldn't de delivered because of its size. I'll try to figure out another way to hand them the file.