GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidv

GSSHA long-term simulation

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to run long-term simulation but it falls down very quickly. I suppose that the problem can be in my precipitation data file (.gag) as the last message concerns the precipitation data. Is there anyone who could confirm that to me? I attach the printscreen. The .gag file can be found at /data/files/osobni%20stranky/Vaclav%20David/model_data20180222_6_cont_prec.gag 

GSSHA_error.thumb.jpg.1a5d7dece5f274eb02f15fa43059117a.jpg

THanx in advance for any advice.

Vaclav David

Vaclav David,

Just looking at your screen, there are 2 things I can think of that might possibly be incorrect in your model.  One possibility is that you are trying to run a storm drain model without having defined channel routing in your model.  There was a bug in GSSHA that was recently fixed where if you tried to run storm/tile drains without channel routing defined GSSHA crashed.  This has been fixed if you download the latest gssha.exe from http://gsshawiki.com. Another possibility is that your GSSHA output window states that there was an error encountered in the hmet_WES file.  This is your HMET file used in your long term simulation.  You should probably attempt to fix this error and see if this fixes the problem.  I believe sample files are located on gsshawiki.com and there are some sample files in the long-term modeling example from the WMS tutorials.  You could also contact our Tech support department with your files if you have a current maintenance contract for WMS.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chris

Dear Chris,

thank you very much. Yes, the HMET file was incorrect. I think I have solved that problem. However, I would like to ask another question. It seems to me that it is not allowed to have nodata values in precipitation data. I have data from multiple stations but these are incomplete. Hence, I thought that the precipitation will be interpolated at each time step from available data. This would of course increase a lot demands on the computational capacity. Could you please provide me an information about it?

Kind regards,

Vaclav

Vaclav,

GSSHA will allow you to have periods of precipitation with nodata values, but I'm not sure there's an easy way to define this information directly in WMS without editing the GSSHA .gag (rain gage) file.  WMS writes the rain gage (.gag) file, but WMS has limited capability for editing and creating this file.  There's a program called the "Time Series Editor" that's distributed with WMS that has additional capabilities for editing GSSHA rain gage information.  More information about the rain gage file used with GSSHA is located on the GSSHA wiki here:

https://gsshawiki.com/Precipitation:Spatially_and_Temporally_Varied_Precipitation

You can manually edit this file as needed to provide GSSHA with the needed rain gage information.  I'd recommend keeping a backup of the file if you manually edit it so it doesn't get changed by WMS or the Time Series Editor programs and you can always revert to your backup if needed.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Chris