GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sylvain

Transient spatially distributed recharge

Hi,

I would like to know if there is another way than manually assign transient recharge values from 2d array in the recharge package window. I have 120 raster (10 years of monthly recharge) of spatially distributed recharge to load in GMS. I'm thinking of going into MODFLOW input files.

Any ideas?

Regards

Hi Sylvain -- I've had good results using a 2-D grid.

I) create a 2-D grid from the 3-D grid

2) do a linear (or other type) interpolation of your raster recharge data to the to 2-D grid. These will stack up for your 120 rasters under the 2-D grid

3) Go to MODFLOW -> Optional Packages -> Recharge and the use the 2D Dataset - > Array to put the 120 datasets into the model at the appropriate stress period

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But i was looking for a more automated process than manually import the interpolated data into the Recharge window (2D Dataset -> Array) and assign them to each stress period. Lets say it takes  1 min to import each 2d grid for each stress period and i have 120!

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing the solution. Nice one :) Have you used some sort of interpolation to obtain modflow compatible dataset from the raster data? Or is the grid and rasters identical in number of rows and columns?

We will be adding a feature to the next version of GMS to apply rasters to various stress periods in the Areal packages (RCH, EVT, ETS). There will not be a need to import these into your project they can be processed directly from the RCH package.

Hi Sylvain, Alan,

I also have >100 recharge rasters for different stress periods that I would like to import in my MODFLOW model. The recharge raster grid is identical to my MODFLOW grid. Sylvain, would it be possible to give some insight in your R code to directly write the data to the MODFLOW GMS hdf5 file? I managed to read my current recharge in the .h5 file using the package you mentioned but I don't know how to correctly write new recharge values for multiple stress periods to the .h5 file? I have my recharge rasters ready as R data frames.

Alan, is this new feature already available in version 10.3.6?