GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Joe Thomas

Routing Data

Is there anyway to extract from WMS information such as Modified Puls' Storage-Outflow curve or Muskingum-Cunge's 8pt Xsect? I've tried importing from a 1D-Hyd Cross Section Database, but it doesn't appear to work. This would seem like a fairly normal data development need, but I can't find anything leading me to how to do it here in the forums, in the wiki, or in the tutorials I've downloaded.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

Joe,

There is no way to extract cross section information for the Muskingum Cunge method directly from a 1D Hyd cross section database.  You can copy/paste the values from a spreadsheet into the appropriate tables in the HEC-1 interface.  There is a reservoir routing tool that allows you to create a storage-outflow curve for an HEC-1 or an HMS model.  I think the HMS tutorial describes how to use this tool.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is this something that would be fairly easy to implement in a future update? At least automation of filtering sections down to eight points and creating a MC 8pt Xsect for importing to a HEC-HMS model? I would imagine that associating the section with the overlapping basin coverage should be fairly simple (assuming it doesn't cross the perimeter of the basin polygon and that there's only one section per basin/routing reach).

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

Thank you for your input.  I think this is a good suggestion and would not be difficult to do.  I added it to our task list.  In the mean time, there is a "filter" tab that's available when you are in the cross section attributes dialog.  This tool allows you to reduce the number of points in your cross section to a certain number of points based on certain criteria.

Chris