GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Michal

WEL Package features as parameters in GMS

Hello,

it is often the case to treat WEL package data (e. g. well pumping/injection rate or specified flow BCs) as adjustable parameters when doing inverse modelling for parameter estimation or optimisation. I would like to see a better GMS handlig of this. One cannot use conceptual model at all when trying to define specified inflow BCs as parameters, because GMS treats the Key value as flow rate and distribute it between the cells intersected by the BC conceptual model geometry.

In the case of pumping well it is possible to specify Key value in the conceptual model and map it to MODFLOW (hopefully) correctly. However there is no check whether this exact Key value does not appear in the regular pumping data. This could easily lead to an error. Especialy when the model is continuosly used and the pumping data with some key values are reasigned over and over during the model application.

I would consider wise to be able to specify in GMS whether a particular value is Key value or not and to treat it accordingly in GMS. Also a model checker should check for conflicts in the WEL package for the reasons described above. This obviously extends to MNW package as well.

I am wondering if anybody else experienced this problem and would like to see this implemented.

Edited by Michal