GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Nick F

Error when trying to get map data

Hello, I've recently been getting an error when attempting to "Get Data from Map." I've attached a picture of the two error boxes that popup when the Virtual Earth viewer appears.

EDIT - To be clear, these errors are also preventing the process from functioning. Clicking "Yes" on both does not allow me to then get any map data. When the error boxes are gone, the Virtual Earth Map Locator window is blank and no data can be downloaded.

Error.png

Final EDIT - I have some skill (low to low-mid level) with programming. I have made a backup of the file in question and am able to examine it using Notepad. If there is a simple fix I can make to the code of this file, please let me know.

Edited by Nick F

Nick,

Sorry about the problems you are having.  Unfortunately, there's not a quick fix.  Microsoft removed their old virtual earth servers without notification.  We are working on a fix and hope to get a fix to you and others soon.  I will post to this thread as soon as I have a fix for this issue.  I know this is a problem if you're used to getting data from the WMS web map button.

In the mean time, you can download data as needed from internet web sites and read any data into WMS.  Once you get any georeferenced data from the internet or some other source into WMS, you can use the "Get Data" tool from the top of the WMS window to download data as needed directly into WMS.  This Get Data tool will allow you to bypass the Virtual Earth Map Locator window that's not working.  Let me know if that doesn't make sense. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's a neat trick to bypass this issue. I'll be sure to let my coworkers know if they need to build a model between now and the formal fix.

Nick,

A patch with the fix can be downloaded here:

http://filecloud.aquaveo.com/index.php/s/RkR6lmyJapJrPRi/download

You may need the password "WebMaps" (Case sensitive) to access the file.

You should unzip all the files to your "C:\Program Files\WMS 10.1 64-bit" directory, replacing any files already in that directory with the new files.  You will need admin permissions to copy the files here.  The first time you bring up the Map locator tool in WMS, you will be prompted to edit your registry.  Just hit OK/Yes to any messages that pop up.  The map locator just needs to update a registry setting to use the latest map browser control in the virtual earth map locator.  After that, you can click on the button again and everything should work correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions or problems.

If you want to wait until the next update to WMS, you can do that.  We'll try to get an update to WMS out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Chris

I just want to post an update to this original problem.  I've updated the files to be placed in your "Program Files\WMS 10.1 64-bit" directory to fix this problem.  The new update uses the Google Maps API and does not bother you about updating the registry if you're not able to update the registry the first time running the application.  This is our long-term solution to the problem and the update will probably not change from here.  You can still wait until WMS is updated and install the update or just put the updated files in your directory.  The updated files can be downloaded here:

https://filecloud.aquaveo.com/index.php/s/XhHgQwyq1ybYyF7

You need the password for the update, which is "vearth".

Let me know if you have any further questions about this issue.

Chris