GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Jonas

Fixed pilot points in PEST NSMC

I have problems running PEST NSMC with fixed pilot points. Both in my own model and in the NSMC tutorial files, I get the same error message "Cannot open parameter value file nsmcII_200_random_nul.par." and the simulation finishes without completing any iteration. Is this a bug i in GMS?

Kind regards,

Jonas

Error fixed pilot point.JPG

An update on this matter. As suggested by Michal, I was able to run the PARREP and RANDPAR utility in PEST to create the *.par files for the different runs. Before running PARREP, I ran a parameter estimation run in GMS with NOPTMAX = -1 to create a *.bpa file. After running RANDPAR I was able to perform the normal procedure for a NSMC inverse calibration run in GMS. This worked out well for the NSMC tutorial with "sc1v56" as a fixed pilot points (keeping value 400 in screenshot below). I cross my fingers that it also works for my own model. However, I would appreciate if this procedure could work directly in GMS. 

nsmcII_PEST_fixedPP.png.3d39957c7cd364531c47aac4707d42ff.pngnsmcII_PEST_fixedPP_GMS.thumb.png.ba7bccafea99a33fed13eacb558b8749.png

Hi Jonas, this is interesting. What interpolation method have you used for the pilot points in the first place?

Did GMS just read the pre-generated values from the RANDPAR utility and than continued itself with the PNULPAR, etc. ?

I used Kriging for interpolation of the pilot points. 

Yes, that was the procedure for the tutorial file. 

When I run my own model something seems to go wrong with svd-assist since the sensitivity file for svd-assist is empty.

An update, my own model was possible to run after using the SUBREG1 utility in PEST. A problem is that my own model with a fixed pilot point is only possible to run for log-uniform distributions with the RANDPAR utility. When I try to create log-normal distributions in RANDPAR i get the error message seen in the screenshot below. Ideas on how to solve this issue are appreciated.  

randpar_error.png

I believe the problem is, that some parameters are cited in the covariance matrix C(k), but are not included in the PEST control file as adjustable parameters. Check it with the sc1v145 parameter.

We have fixed this issue and added a test. It will be in the next update of GMS (10.3.4). If you need it sooner you can get a link to the nightly build from the tech support group.

I tried both the nightly build and the latest update (10.3.4) but received this error message:

image.png.a364b2fafd6e966195ccff49ce6f2463.png

The model works fine in NSMC with the NWT solver without fixed PP. Any ideas on how to solve the issue?

Kind regards,

Jonas

So the tutorial seems to work fine with fixed points. I just tried it again this morning.

Does PEST report any errors?

Perhaps it is a bug in parallel PEST. 

I just tested the model again without parallel PEST and got the same error message: "pest has stopped working". I get this when I make a parameter estimation run with noptmax = -2.

I also got this error message when from this run:

The whole process before seems to work fine

image.png

Edited by Jonas