GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wrbanwrban

MT3D-NaCl barrier tessting

Hey there,

I am trying to generate transient model in order to test if there are potential leakages through the barrier. We have boundary conditions on two sides. Left of the barrier there is a river and right of the barrier I am using CHD boundary condition. The whole layer is considered to be gravel with K of 0.001 m/s. On the left side of the barrier there is as well an injection well into which we put NaCl at the time of 7200 s in concentration of 1200 mg/L. Right of the barrier we have a pumping well where we pump at ration 6l/s, starting from time 0 s. The whole experiment lasts until 21600 s. MODFLOW is working perfectly with the boundary conditions and we are able to see expected draw down because of the pumping well. I have set specific storage, specific yield, stress periods, concentrations but noting happens when I rund the MT3D model.

Is there maybe and easy solution to this? Maye someone can point to me what should I look in to?

Best regards, Urban

Helo,

it is hard to say without seeing the model. Could you be more specific in what do you mean by "nothing happens"? Do you mean like, the tracer concentration is zero everywhere through the simulation? First look at the mt3dms list file (case.out) and make sure, that the simulation ended without any errors. Then I would suggest to look at Output control in the basic transport package and make sure it is set properly, so MT3d is writing the concentration binary arrays at correct times. Also try to look at the model cell containing the injection well via sources/sinks dialog and check, that there is associated concentration with it.

Hey,

thanx for replying! sorry for being unspecific. It is like you said, the tracer concentration is always zero. I have checked all the potential problems that you mentioned but still, the problem is there. 

I attached a picture of the model, if maybe that helps someone with an idea...

Thanx again!!

primer modela.jpg