GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
NicT

SRH2D Point Shapefile Output

I used to always specify 'SRHN' as the output format for my SRH2D simulations; however, I ran into some issues with non-sensical values for Froude number and depth (in the output file only, the simulation ran smoothly). Given that the XMDF format is supported by SMS I've recently switched to specifying that format for output. This switch has had both positive and negative impacts... on the positive side, I don't have any non-sensical values (hooray!). On the negative side, I can't seem to find a way to create the specific output I'm looking for. Eventually what I need is a point shapefile with points at each mesh node and attributes (depth, velocity magnitude, shear stress, etc) associated with each point. This used to be very easy using the SRHN output as it was essentially a text file with each row listing point (node) coordinates and attributes; this is easy to bring into Excel and/or GIS. The XMDF format is proving much more difficult to work with in this regard. Has anyone used XMDF to create an attributed point file?

NicT, SMS will allow you to create a text file including node point locations and computed datasets in the "Save as" menu. 

1. Select the Mesh to make the mesh module active

2. Select "File Save As..."

3. Change the "Save as type:"  to "Tabular Data Files (.txt)"

4. Give it a name and click Save.

5. Specify the number of columns, Precision, and Delimeter type

6. In the "Data" row at the bottom select the "Data" button for each column to choose a mesh dataset that will be written to the text file. You can choose "X" and "Y" which are the coordinates of each node, and then choose other datasets to add the the other column(s) (which will be however many columns you chose to include)

7. Select OK when finished setting up the columns and it will create the text file with the columns configured how you set them up reporting data at the node locations.

I have used this quite a bit to transfer mesh data to other programs and excel.

-Calberts

6 minutes ago, calberts said:

NicT, SMS will allow you to create a text file including node point locations and computed datasets in the "Save as" menu. 

1. Select the Mesh to make the mesh module active

2. Select "File Save As..."

3. Change the "Save as type:"  to "Tabular Data Files (.txt)"

4. Give it a name and click Save.

5. Specify the number of columns, Precision, and Delimeter type

6. In the "Data" row at the bottom select the "Data" button for each column to choose a mesh dataset that will be written to the text file. You can choose "X" and "Y" which are the coordinates of each node, and then choose other datasets to add the the other column(s) (which will be however many columns you chose to include)

7. Select OK when finished setting up the columns and it will create the text file with the columns configured how you set them up reporting data at the node locations.

I have used this quite a bit to transfer mesh data to other programs and excel.

-Calberts

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!