GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk

GMS Solids to Modflow, HUF, and K

Keq.pngThe GMS instructions show that using Solids to MODFLOW, Grid overlay with Keq you should get this custom K values assigned to cells, and in that section of there is this neat little image I embedded in this message.  It seems like a GMS/MODFLOW user would like to be able to tell what K is actually assigned to each cell in a case like this.  But, in GMS, using the HUF package, no K appears for cell-properties when right clicking a cell in the model. It says some parameters are in the Materials-editor.  But, how can we see what the intermediate, customized K values are?  One of our group noted that this image have used such data to have been created!  So how did you get these values out of the model?? Is there some method or steps that I can use to say, export K for layer 4, for example?

Thanks for any tips provided!

Kirk

The solids to MODFLOW command will create the HK data for the LPF package. The HK array can then be contoured. Currently, there are no tools in GMS for creating a dataset of HK values from the HUF package.

If your HUF data was created from solids, you could use the Solids->MODFLOW command to generate an HK array with the LPF package so that you could visuallize the HK data.

Thanks Alan. The model I am working with was created by a co-worker, so I am not exactly sure of the sequence of his steps. He seemed to imply that first he used the Solids to HUF command, and then the Solids to MODFLOW command, but with the HUF package selected as the flow package.  In the resulting model, I can select a plan view and layer, and in the Display menu turn "cell faces" on.  Now, I see four colors of cells, that match the four colors in the materials editor. It seems as though, then, each cell is simply one of the four assigned material HK values. Is that the fact then? If you care to have a look, a file was uploaded to aquaveo's file cloud, and my password to folder was assigned to me as aquaveoKW, uploaded April 19th (13 days ago). The file I uploaded is named ML12-15-16_R1_KW.zip.