GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Campbell

Coordinate Significant Figures

Hi -- How many significant figures does GMS use when assigning coordinate locations for groundwater level observations? I've got a little over 400,000 groundwater level observations in a GMS 10.1.4 model and having trouble using PEST outside of GMS. I think what's happening is GMS is creating duplicate locations for the wells. I have 8 significant figures on the X and Y coordinates and there are no duplicates. However, if GMS is only using the first 2 or 3 of these significant figures in the coordinates, I'll have lots of duplicates.

Hi Michael -- Thanks for the quick response. How about the name of a well or observation point - I have some long names from our database. As much as 30-50 characters with punctuation such as parentheses, pound signs, and periods. Could these long names be a problem? I can replace them with simple consecutive numbers. 

Michal    0

Is each head observation in the *.hob file maped to the unique cell (IJK) and stress period? Athought it shouldn't matter if the observation's coordinates/times are not identical due to the offset variables (TOFFSET, ROF, COF), I can imagine certain confusion if multiple observation are defined for the same cell and stress period when using PEST.