GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
malibec2005uk

islands in side water body

What model are you using?

In general, you can use the display options to see where different boundary conditions are being applied.

What model are you using?

In general, you can use the display options to see where different boundary conditions are being applied.

Hi,

I use the mesh module. i attached a picture of my mesh indicating one of the islands. I would like to define the islands and the output/input flow to the water body.

thanks

post-260-1217318151_thumb.jpg

The required boundary conditions are MODEL specific. For example, ADCIRC requires the land and ocean boundaries to be defined with nodestrings. FESWMS requires you to only define the inflow and outflow boundaries with nodestrings.

I would recommend reviewing the tutorial for the MODEL you are using for an example of how to apply boundary conditions. Tutorials can be found at the following link: SMS Tutorials

You may also want to review the following articles on our wiki:

* What is a node string

* How to create node strings

* Mesh Quality

- John

The required boundary conditions are MODEL specific. For example, ADCIRC requires the land and ocean boundaries to be defined with nodestrings. FESWMS requires you to only define the inflow and outflow boundaries with nodestrings.

I would recommend reviewing the tutorial for the MODEL you are using for an example of how to apply boundary conditions. Tutorials can be found at the following link: SMS Tutorials

You may also want to review the following articles on our wiki:

* What is a node string

* How to create node strings

* Mesh Quality

- John

Hi,

I work with hydrodynamic model called FVCOM which is not in the list. However in the FVCOM model manual SMS is the recommended software to construct the mesh. this information is appeard in Chapter 17 in the manual of FVCOM.

The following link is for the FVCOM site.

http://fvcom.smast.umassd.edu/FVCOM/index.htm

I have not heard of the FVCOM model until now, although Rusty Jones told me he met a user at the last training course he taught in the UK. I contacted the model developer and I believe boundary conditions are assigned outside of SMS for the FVCOM model. I would recommend posting your question on the FVCOM Forum.

- John