GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Lalith

Particles from a selected well

Hi,

I need to run modpath from a selected well out of many wells in my GMS project. Is this possible? According to xmswiki, I see such option is available in GMS (http://xmswiki.com/wiki/GMS:MODPATH_Particle_Tracking). Please see the option marked in red below.

---------------------------------------

Generate Particles at Wells – Accessed in the MODPATH menu. This command automatically generates particle starting locations in cells containing wells. The specified number of particle starting locations are distributed evenly in a horizontal circle around the center of the cells containing the wells. Specify the number of starting locations per cell, and whether the user wants starting locations created in extraction well cells, or injection well cells.

Injection Wells – If this option is selected, particles are created in cells with wells that have a positive flow rate. The tracking direction for the current particle set is changed to forward.
Extraction Wells – If this option is selected, particles are created in cells with wells that have a negative flow rate. The tracking direction for the current particle set is changed to backward.
Selected Wells – This option makes it possible to generate particles at either all wells or only at wells within selected cells.

----------------------------------------

However, I see only first two option in GMS. I have the most recent version GMS with all up-to-date.Am I missing something here?

I appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Lalith

Edited by Lalith

2 hours ago, Sean Czarniecki said:

Select the cell(s) with the well(s) and you will be able to generate particles and tell it the tracking direction.

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your prompt response. I selected the cell and check the available option but it does not show the option to select the well within the selected cell. However, it allows me to release particles from the entire selected cell. However, my problem is bit complicated. I have a model with 6 layers and the screening level of the well starts from the middle of the 2nd layer and continue till midway of the third layer. I want to release particles only from the screened levels in order to recognize the capture zone.

Well, unless things have changed (I haven't done this in a while), it doesn't matter if your well is screened in the middle of a layer/cell.  For MODFLOW, the well is assumed to be across the entire cell.  However, you can release particles in the middle of the cell to better simulate things....although it won't be that accurate inside the cell.  So you can release particles in the cells in the two layers by selecting those two cells and manually placing particles at certain locations in the cell.  I don't know if you can do much more than that.