Jump to content
GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Harris0716@gmail.com

Error Running FEMWATER

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am new to FEMWATER. I use FEMWATER to build up a coupled flow and transport model. When I run the model, it cannot get solutions. It always shows the info. below.

Reading the model parameter file ... 

XY1 Card: The XY Series Card = 725 > MXXYS = 250 Stop

FEMWATER Finished

I have no idea what is the possible reason that might cause this problem. Any suggestions and comments are highly appreciated!

Han

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Han

It means your model is too big. FEMWATER is unfortunately compiled with fixed array sizes, if your model is too big you will need to recompile FEMWATER with larger arrays or make your model smaller. The source code is available from AQUAVEO.

In this case the problem is you have an XY series that is longer than 250 rows. XY series are used for time series and also for unsaturated zone curves. 

By the way, in my experience FEMWATER has poor mass balance for transport calculations.

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, woodward said:

Hi Han

It means your model is too big. FEMWATER is unfortunately compiled with fixed array sizes, if your model is too big you will need to recompile FEMWATER with larger arrays or make your model smaller. The source code is available from AQUAVEO.

In this case the problem is you have an XY series that is longer than 250 rows. XY series are used for time series and also for unsaturated zone curves. 

By the way, in my experience FEMWATER has poor mass balance for transport calculations.

Simon

Hello, Simon,

Thank you very much for the explanation!

I use constant time step (30 day as one time step and total simulation time is 3000 day) which means that there are 100 XY series (less than 250). So, the problem is that I have too many XY series for unsaturated zone curves, right? I was just wondering how could I decrease the XY series from 725 to 250?

Thank you for your time.

Han

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too many XY series, but maybe some of your XY series are too long.

You can edit the unsaturated zone curves in the dialogue box in GMS. There is a wizard for generating them. Or you can generate them outside GMS and paste them in manually i think (that's what i did, I think). It's a while since i used GMS. Or you can edit them directly in the FEMWATER text files produced by GMS. It really important to read the FEMWATER manual and be familiar with how it works, and the text files it reads. There are a few bugs here and there. If you check my older posts here (few years ago) I might have mentioned some of them.

By the way DON'T use the spline smoothing option, it can cause errors because it is not guaranteed to be monotonic..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, does it make sense to use a 30 day time step when you are simulating movement through the unsaturated zone? Normally you need small grid spacing and time steps for this, although the FEMWATER Langrangian method might help. Check the Peclet and Courant numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Check this old post. Maybe you are right, the problem is the NUMBER of XY time series. It seems GMS doesn't remove old ones so you can exceed the array bound.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2016 at 5:51 PM, woodward said:

 

 

Quote

Check this old post. Maybe you are right, the problem is the NUMBER of XY time series. It seems GMS doesn't remove old ones so you can exceed the array bound.

 

Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for the help. Based on your advice, I edited the unsaturated zone curves, and I also used smaller time step. Now it seems working good. 

However, when I run the model, it comes out three errors

(1)  Error: this is not a scalar file (ascii form) REFTIM

(2)  Error: FEMWATER.phd not a GMS scalar or vector file

(3)  Error: FEMWATER.con not a GMS scalar or vector file

After I click OK to these error messages, it says 'The following datasets were invalid and have been removed from the project'. 

It seems that I only have the dataset for total head, but no dataset for concentration.

Would you advise on this, please?

Thank you,

Han

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that the problem was caused by the phd. file that I created for assigning initial head values. The model runs if I set up a model-wide constant head value for initial conditions. But the model reports error if I set up a spatially varied head values which should be read from an external file. 

Edited by Harris0716@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you got it working :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...