GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Cell to Cell flow budget with MODFLOW-USG

Currently you can not get cell to cell flow budgets with MODFLOW-USG.  This is a feature that can really help troubleshoot problems and analyze if the model is behaving correctly.  Any plans in providing this in MODFLOW-USG?

Greg

I assume you are referring to the "Zone flow" section of the Flow Budget dialog. Is this a correct assumption?

This feature does not provide useful information for an unstructured USG model. However, the "Zones" tab and the "Zone budget" tab do function the same with USG. Is there something that you are not able to do using the Zone budget feature?

Hi Alan,

I am referring to the "Zone Flow" section of the flow budget.  When troubleshooting a model it can be useful to look at the flux in and out of selected cells.  Can you explain why the Zone Flow is not useful in USG?

That was poorly worded by me. The current implementation is not useful (ie it doesn't work). We have not implemented any code to figure out the unstructured grid cell faces that correspond to the JA info written to the CCF file with USG.

Are you able to use Zone budget to accomplish the same thing that you would like to do with the "Zone Flow"?

Hi Alan,

Yes we can use Zone budget to accomplish the same thing, it would still be nice to use the Zone Flow in MODFLOW-USG so I hope this can be fixed in the future. - Greg B.