GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Fahad

Steps for running a tuflow simulation

Fahad    0

I am quite new to SMS. I am trying to run a tuflow simulation over my study location. I have the DEM, landcover files for that area. Could anyone tell me the main steps in SMS that I have to do to run the simulation.

calberts    0

Hi Fahad,

Thank you for your interest in SMS. There are links to TUFLOW tutorials and tutorial data files at: http://www.aquaveo.com/software/sms-learning-tutorials

I would recommend starting with the "TUFLOW 2D" tutorial which will walk you through the steps to create a TUFLOW grid using elevation data. SMS supports many raster formats, so depending on the format of your DEM and whether it is one of the compatible formats, you may be able to use it directly to assign elevations to the TUFLOW grid.

Best of luck,

calberts 

Fahad    0
On 9/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, calberts said:

Hi Fahad,

Thank you for your interest in SMS. There are links to TUFLOW tutorials and tutorial data files at: http://www.aquaveo.com/software/sms-learning-tutorials

I would recommend starting with the "TUFLOW 2D" tutorial which will walk you through the steps to create a TUFLOW grid using elevation data. SMS supports many raster formats, so depending on the format of your DEM and whether it is one of the compatible formats, you may be able to use it directly to assign elevations to the TUFLOW grid.

Best of luck,

calberts 

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have successfully done that tutorial.

My another question is I have coastal bathymetry file for New Jersey. As well as the DEM for New Jersey. Do I need to mosaic them into single file. Or it is not necessary to use bathymatry elevation file.

calberts    0

Fahad,

That is good that you have access to both bathymetry and land elevation data. To know if you should mosaic the two data sets really depends on what you are trying to simulate or analyze. In some coastal models bathymetry data is not included because boundary conditions can be used to represent the interface of land and sea. The TUFLOW manual talks more of what BC types are used to simulate tides and storm surges. 

If you think you will be needing to combine the data, the easiest way in SMS would be to merge them as either rasters or 2D scatter sets.

-calberts

Fahad    0

Hi,

I know it's really novice to ask. But anyway I am still learning. So, I am using the DEM (10m) downloaded from web service of SMS. I attached an image of that after converting the raster to 2d scatter. My question is what is the vertical unit of that data. Does SMS always shows vertical units in meter, because I think in the legend bar the values are in meter. I tried changing the vertical unit to US feet but nothing happens.

Can the experts kindly help me in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

-Fahad 

Capture.JPG