GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
sherwood

TR-55 Rainfall Distributions

Another TR-55 question,  I am wondering if there is a way to enter a custom Rainfall Distribution. 

What I would like to do is use an updated distribution CA-1 (to replace the 1A distribution)which was developed to better represent the climate in Coastal Northern California. I have the data in tabular format.

Thanks,

Sherwood

Sherwood,

There is no way to enter a custom rainfall distribution in the TR-55 model.  The TR-55 model is designed to be used only with the distributions included in the WMS interface.  That probably is not the answer you wanted to hear.

However, you can use your custom rainfall distribution in any of the other models that support a rainfall distribution as input such as HEC-1 or HEC-HMS (or GSSHA for that matter).  You could enter the rainfall distribution into the time series editor or you could edit or save a new rainfall distribution file so this distribution always shows up when you start WMS.  The rainfall distribution file is located at "C:\Program Files\WMS 10.1 32-bit\scstabs.xys".

If you can send me a link to your rainfall distribution, I can add it to the scstabs.xys file so the new distribution is sent out with future versions of WMS.  In either case, you will not be able to use this new distribution with the TR-55 model.

Chris

Sherwood,

I have found several new standard rainfall distributions, including the one you mention, that I will include in the next update to WMS.  You'll be able to use these rainfall distributions with models such as HEC-1 and HEC-HMS and they will show up as default curves in the XY series editor for precipitation distributions.

I will mention that there is a model called WinTR-55 that has superseded the TR-55 model and has its own interface.  WinTR-55 seems to support the CA-1 rainfall distribution, but I'm not sure to what extent it is supported.  At some point, we will probably investigate implementing the WinTR-55 methods into WMS, but we do not yet have a time frame for this.

Chris