samanta

Problem running seawat

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I get the following message when I try to run SEAWAT, I've attached a figure with prompt window for the seawat solution.

ERROR:SOLUTION DID NOT CONVERGE FOR HEADS FOR TIME STEP   1 IN STRESS PERIOD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

seawat.jpg

You could try adjusting the PCG solver values (MODFLOW | PCG - Pre. Conj. Gradient Solver menu item) to get it to converge (see http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/gwsoftware/modflow2000/MFDOC/index.html?pcg.htm). Some changes that might help include: increasing the number of outer iterations, setting the damping lower (1.0 is the default and it should be between 0.0 and 1.0), adjusting the relaxation, and making sure HCLOSE and RCLOSE values make sense for your model.

Sometimes one can run SEAWAT when the Variable-Density Flow VDF package is disabled, which shows the issue is caused by the values entered there. Check the example VDF dialog values in the Conceptual Model Approach tutorial and check out the VDF wiki page. You may also see the SEAWAT wiki page here. Here's the tutorial PDF and Zip folder of project files. Additionally you want to check out the MT3DMS | Basic Transport Package | Starting Concentrations Per Cell Array window starting concentrations and make sure they're not too high.

Conceptual Model Approach pdf icon zip icon