GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
igm

Export modflow heads to ArcGis

A data set can be exported by right-clicking on the data set in the Project Explorer and select the Export command. The Save As dialog has three filter types that can be exported:

* Binary Data Set Files (*.dat)

* ASCII Data Set Files (*.dat)

* HDF5 data Set Files (*.h5)

The data sets can't be converted directly to ArcGis, however, you could try converting the ASCII files into ArcGis when importing the files into ArcGis.

Just came across this topic. I work with GMS 6.0.

Convert the heads from each layer to 2D. This could be done with 3D data --> 2D data (after jou copied your 3D grid to an 2D one). Afterwards you can convert the 2D-data to 2Dscatter. Only from this package is it possible to export directly to SHP-files, which you can read with ArcView GIS or ArcGIS. You end up with a point-SHP which you can handle with spatial analyst or surfer.

Edited by Dirk

Just came across this topic. I work with GMS 6.0.

Convert the heads from each layer to 2D. This could be done with 3D data --> 2D data (after jou copied your 3D grid to an 2D one). Afterwards you can convert the 2D-data to 2Dscatter. Only from this package is it possible to export directly to SHP-files, which you can read with ArcView GIS or ArcGIS. You end up with a point-SHP which you can handle with spatial analyst or surfer.

Thnaks a lot for this tip. In fact it was almost this way that I exported heads. The only diferent thing is that I created a regular 2D grid and I interpolated from scater points to 2D grid and this regular grid can be exported to Arc Gis and Arc View.

Thanks again,

Augusto

to export the grid as an arcview readable .asc file, hHighlight the HEAD file and the time step you want to export and use the menu: data/3d data to 2d data and enter the options you want - largest value in column, value for a layer, etc, and give it a name and hit OK. (you have to have a default 2d grid in your project that has the same dimensions, and number of cells as each layer of your 3d grid) I build my models by importing a 2-d grid of some layer such as topography as an ascii grid file that I generate in ArcGIS, and this sets up the default 2D grid in GMS. I then build my 3D grid by entering the origin, extent, and number of cells in the x and y dimensions which you get by right clicking on the 2D grid header.

Once you have the 2d grid version of your heads, simply right click the 2d layer and use the export option to export an ascii file. Read that file into ArcGIS. Since GMS does not use projections to use your ascii file in ArcGIS you will have to assign a coordinate system to the imported file.

All this only works if you have constant (square) grid spacing in your model

If you do not, you can export the contours on the display within GMS then export the contour layer directly as a shape file

You can also convert you head contours to arcs and then export the coverage to a shape file.

Hi Alan,

Can you explain how to convert head/drawdown contours to arcs?

Guillaume