GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris Blount

Steering with ADCIRC and STWAVE

In the the old forum I came across this thread: http://www.ems-i.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi...;num=1186393742

I'm just getting started learning how to use STWAVE, but I have the same problem. I want to couple ADCIRC and STWAVE, but I do not have have WABED enabled. Nothing on the EMS site says that this is necessary to couple STWAVE and ADCIRC. Can someone explain why this is necessary and why can't they be couple directly?

Chris

Just to add to what was explained in the linked thread...yes, you will need to use the WABED interface to steer in SMS v9.2+. I'll try to explain the reason why.

The circulation-wave coupling in the steering module works with the pre-full plane version of STWAVE, which I'll refer to as the "old" STWAVE. The newer, full plane version of STWAVE is very different from the old STWAVE and the changes to the model made it incompatible with the steering module. The WABED model is essentially identical to the old STWAVE, so the old STWAVE interface in SMS became the WABED interface and the STWAVE interface was updated to be compatible with the new full plane version of STWAVE.

If you look in the models folder where SMS is installed, you'll see an executable named "stwave_wabed.exe." The executable is the old STWAVE recompiled to run through the WABED interface. This is for those who prefer to use the old STWAVE over WABED. The steering module currently works with WABED or the old STWAVE but you will need WABED interface enabled to steer. In summary, the steering module is compatible with the half plane version of STWAVE, but you will need the WABED interface enabled. I'm sorry for the confusion on this. You can contact EMS-I and have your license changed to use the WABED interface. In hindsight, we should have handled the changes to STWAVE differently. We realized that there is a lot of commercial interest in the spin-down capabilities of the steering module, but we thought that use of the coupling capabilities of the steering module were utilized primarily by USACE-ERDC and people working on USACE projects. We are currenly putting the finishing touches on the steering module to make it compatible with bot WABED and the full plane STWAVE.

Just to add to what was explained in the linked thread...yes, you will need to use the WABED interface to steer in SMS v9.2+. I'll try to explain the reason why.

The circulation-wave coupling in the steering module works with the pre-full plane version of STWAVE, which I'll refer to as the "old" STWAVE. The newer, full plane version of STWAVE is very different from the old STWAVE and the changes to the model made it incompatible with the steering module. The WABED model is essentially identical to the old STWAVE, so the old STWAVE interface in SMS became the WABED interface and the STWAVE interface was updated to be compatible with the new full plane version of STWAVE.

If you look in the models folder where SMS is installed, you'll see an executable named "stwave_wabed.exe." The executable is the old STWAVE recompiled to run through the WABED interface. This is for those who prefer to use the old STWAVE over WABED. The steering module currently works with WABED or the old STWAVE but you will need WABED interface enabled to steer. In summary, the steering module is compatible with the half plane version of STWAVE, but you will need the WABED interface enabled. I'm sorry for the confusion on this. You can contact EMS-I and have your license changed to use the WABED interface. In hindsight, we should have handled the changes to STWAVE differently. We realized that there is a lot of commercial interest in the spin-down capabilities of the steering module, but we thought that use of the coupling capabilities of the steering module were utilized primarily by USACE-ERDC and people working on USACE projects. We are currenly putting the finishing touches on the steering module to make it compatible with bot WABED and the full plane STWAVE.

Tom, ok, thanks for the reply. I think I understand what is going on, but I need a little clarification. There isn't really anything on WABED on the wiki site. I just briefly read through USACE CHETN-I-74 from this year; I see WABED has an option for wind but there is little else about it. Can WABED handle spatially varying wind interpolated from ADCIRC?

Also, when will the steering for the full plane version of STAVE be finished?

Thanks,

Chris

WABED has the option for global wind input, but not spatially variable wind.

We are working to get the steering compatible for full plane STWAVE and it should be ready by the end of the beta period for SMS 10.0.

EDIT: Steering with the full plane version of STWAVE will not be available in 10.0. CMS-Wave/WABED or the half plane version of STWAVE will need to be used in steering.

WABED has the option for global wind input, but not spatially variable wind.

We are working to get the steering compatible for full plane STWAVE and it should be ready by the end of the beta period for SMS 10.0.

Tom, do you have an idea of how long that will be? Using the WABED interface may be suitable while I'm learning to use the steering module and doing some initial simulations, but we are going to need the newer version of STWAVE which I believe handles spatial variations. We purchased v9.2 with the understanding that it would be able to do the coupling with ADCIRC. The EMS site says SMS can couple ADCIRC/STWAVE and the wiki site says the new version of STWAVE is included so putting one and one together, it seemed like there wouldn't be a problem. The issue with WABED is never mentioned on any of the sites.

So our two main concerns are:

1) When will the updates be finished?

2) When the updates are finished, are we going to have to pay for a new license for something we thought was already included? (Who would answer this? Larissa? Emily?)

Chris

I talked with the SMS development group about the status of the steering module with full plane STWAVE. Work on the steering module is controlled a great deal by priority decisions made by USACE-ERDC. Currently, steering with full plane version of STWAVE is not a priority, so it will not be implemented any time soon. So for steering, WABED or the half plane version of STWAVE will need to be used.

I am sorry for the confusion about the steering module capabilities. The wiki pages indicate that coupled steering is available with CMS-Wave (WABED). We'll need to have EMS-I clarify their website and state that steering works with STWAVE as long as it is the half plane version. So, if you want to use the steering module, you will need the CMS-Wave/WABED interface enabled. You can still use the half plane version of STWAVE through the CMS-Wave/WABED interface. If you contact EMS-I sales, I'm sure they would enable the CMS-Wave/WABED interface for you.

I talked with the SMS development group about the status of the steering module with full plane STWAVE. Work on the steering module is controlled a great deal by priority decisions made by USACE-ERDC. Currently, steering with full plane version of STWAVE is not a priority, so it will not be implemented any time soon. So for steering, WABED or the half plane version of STWAVE will need to be used.

I am sorry for the confusion about the steering module capabilities. The wiki pages indicate that coupled steering is available with CMS-Wave (WABED). We'll need to have EMS-I clarify their website and state that steering works with STWAVE as long as it is the half plane version. So, if you want to use the steering module, you will need the CMS-Wave/WABED interface enabled. You can still use the half plane version of STWAVE through the CMS-Wave/WABED interface. If you contact EMS-I sales, I'm sure they would enable the CMS-Wave/WABED interface for you.

Tom,

Ok, here is what I need to know then. I'm trying to reproduce the results of Jane McKee Smith at the ERDC: http://www.waveworkshop.org/9thWaves/Papers/Smith.pdf

She uses the full-plane and half-plane versions of STWAVE with spatially varying wind and surge fields. Most of my modeling will be along the open coast so I can probably get by with just the half-plane version. I have tried a single timestep with the half-plane version using spatially varying ADCIRC wind and current fields and it seemed to work fine. If I want to use STWAVE and run it through the WABED interface so I can use the steering model, will I still be able to use the spatially varying input capabilities of STWAVE?

Thanks,

Chris

Tom,

Ok, here is what I need to know then. I'm trying to reproduce the results of Jane McKee Smith at the ERDC: http://www.waveworkshop.org/9thWaves/Papers/Smith.pdf

She uses the full-plane and half-plane versions of STWAVE with spatially varying wind and surge fields. Most of my modeling will be along the open coast so I can probably get by with just the half-plane version. I have tried a single timestep with the half-plane version using spatially varying ADCIRC wind and current fields and it seemed to work fine. If I want to use STWAVE and run it through the WABED interface so I can use the steering model, will I still be able to use the spatially varying input capabilities of STWAVE?

Thanks,

Chris

I was not aware that the half-plane version of STWAVE (at least the one we distribute) could handle spatially variable wind fields. I'm sure this version would work with the steering module, but the steering module doesn't include wind when interpolating ADCIRC data for STWAVE.

I was not aware that the half-plane version of STWAVE (at least the one we distribute) could handle spatially variable wind fields. I'm sure this version would work with the steering module, but the steering module doesn't include wind when interpolating ADCIRC data for STWAVE.

Well, I guess I'll have to do it by hand. What version of STWAVE is distributed with SMS? I discussed this with Dr. Jane Smith and she says spatially variable winds and surges are available for versions 5.4/5.5.

Chris

Edited by Chris Blount