GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
COriverDude

Export materials coverage from SMS to WMS

Does anyone know a process for exporting a materials coverage from SMS to WMS?  I would like to use a 2-D materials coverage to define Manning's roughness values in a HEC-RAS model I am preparing in WMS 10.1.

Thanks!

I just tried this.  Just saving a .map file from SMS and reading it into WMS does not transfer the attributes correctly without manually editing the .map file.  It looks like your best option is to export your area property coverage from SMS as a shapefile.  Just select "File | Save as" and export your file.  Then read the shapefile into WMS, create an area property coverage in WMS, and convert your shapefile to feature objects.  You should map the material ID and the material names to the correct fields.  After you have created a 1D schematic in WMS and before saving your RAS File out, be sure to set the material properties (manning's roughness values) and the model control (materials) from the HEC-RAS menu.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Chris

Hi Chris, thank you for your help!

We discovered this same process, but when we convert the GIS shapefile to feature objects, WMS is not finding the metadata associated with material type.  We cannot, therefore, map the material ID and material names in WMS.  This seems to be the gap in the system at the moment.

I appreciate your suggestions.  Do you have another idea?

OK, I figured out where we went wrong -- your guidance is spot on.  We initially imported the shapefile as arcs instead of polygons.  Now that we have imported the shapefile as polygons, I was able to map both the material ID and the material name, and everything dropped into the coverage seamlessly.  

Thanks so much, Chris!

Brian

Edited by COriverDude
2nd attempt worked, after converting import function to polygons

You're right, sorry I forgot to mention that.  You need to save your shapefile from SMS as a polygon shapefile instead of as an arc shapefile to transfer your attributes correctly.  Good luck with your work.

Chris