GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
dlpsbg

Calculate specific flow

I did a simualtion with hydro_as-2d. Now I'm trying to calculate the specific flow with SMS with the relative water depth an the velocity over the entire modelarea. But I have no idea how to. Does anyone have an idea?? Thanks for help!

dlpsbg,

Flows can be calculated using an observation arc along with the depth and velocity datasets. Here is a link from the Tuflow wiki showing the process: http://wiki.tuflow.com/index.php?title=SMS_Tips#Flow_Timeseries Although the steps in that link are using a Tuflow mesh, the process is universal and can be applied to your Hydro_AS model.

-Cody 

Hi calberts,

thanks for proposing this possibility. I appreciate! But my mission is to calculate and display the specific flow over the whole area. Not only at some profiles.

Thanks for the clarification, several models compute a total flow and write it to the output, something I wouldn't know about Hydro_AS. 

I am not aware of any other tools in SMS to calculate that type of output. Using my previous suggestion and placing the arc(s) near the exit boundary you could sum the flows for the timesteps and get an idea of how much has passed through the model during the entire simulation time, but that is all I can think of.

-Cody