GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bjacoby

Steady State vs. Transient

I have a calibrated Steady State Model that shows my site at current conditions. I would like to know how the water table will react to various closure scenarios of a landfill. To do this, I converted my model into transient and added values for specific storage and specific yield. I created two stress periods and in the second stress period, I made the recharge over the landfill equal to 0 to simulate an impermeable liner. I run the model out 100 years, and the heads in the landfill only drop 10 feet. I was expecting more drawdown, so I decided to run the model as steady state and 0 recharge over the landfill.

The steady state model demonstrates 30 feet of drawdown, which is much more in line with what I expected.

I returned to the transient model and have adjusted the storage values orders of magnitude up and down and do not get any change in my final heads at 100 years; at least not more than a few feet.

I have tried different solver packages to see if that would adjust my heads and that didn't seem to work either.

I have tried to run the model out to 1000 years instead of 100 and this doesn't seem to have a affect on the final heads.

Is there another property or function I am missing?  Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Hi there, can you specify what the length of your each stress period and what the magnitudes of recharge rate are for each? Also the information of your steady state simulation.

In addition, is your landfill site covered by a confined or unconfined aquifer beneath? Because I would like to try to interpret your problem theoretically assuming that your settings were perfect. Of course you are welcome to find any model setting workaround if that is the case.

Cheers!