GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Ayman98

Editing rain gauges

Hello

I have a number of rain gauges with rainfall intensity (mm) around my drainage basin, they have different start and end dates with daily rain fall, some of them start from 2001 ending by 2016, others start from 1999 ending by 2012, and so on. How to edit these gauges with their location in WMS to appear as coverages and edit these records and use them in hydrologic modeling, do I have to cut the dates so they have the same start and end dates or no.

Best regards

Ayman98,

You do not need the same start/end times for your rainfall if you're doing an HMS model, which is what I think you're doing.  HMS will use the available data needed between the start and end times of your simulation.  You would enter your rainfall data into WMS by adding points in a Rain Gage coverage type and define your data in the XY series editor for each of the points.

Chris

Thank you Chris for your support.

The editor is showing the Unit Time (min) and the Distribution,  example of my gauges is as follows:

Rain gauge: Lat ****, Long ****

Time             rainfall intensity (mm)

1/1/2000           2

1/2/2000           0

1/3/2000           1.2

1/4/2000          3

I need to  edit the rainfall as intensity or depth in mm for each day.

Please advice

Best regards

Edited by Ayman98

Ayman98,

You should be able to enter your data into the XY series editor as you show it.  You could also enter the time in minutes in the first (X) column and the precipitation as shown in the second (Y) column.  Are you having problems with that?

Chris

Dear Chris

Thank you so much, that's fine but my question is about the y axis (Distribution) is it correct if I edited the intensity (mm) under the distribution will it be counted as intensity as I showed above?

Ayman98,

Yes, you can put intensity in the Y column in the XY series editor in WMS.  If you want to enter the intensity in mm you need to go to the HMS Job Control data, select Meteorological Options, and change your units to SI units.  The rest of your model should probably be in SI units also if you do this.  You also need to turn on the Incremental data option in the XY series editor.  If you do not turn this option on, WMS will assume your precipitation data is a cumulative distribution.

Chris

Dear Chris

I copied and pasted my data into the x, y columns and only 300 readings are pasted, how to enter the whole of my data (more than 10 years of daily records)?

Best regards

Ayman98,

In HEC-1, there's a limit of 300 points for rainfall data.  But there's no such limit for rainfall data in the HMS model.  I suggest you use HMS or another model that supports long-term simulations such as GSSHA if you're doing a long term model like yours.  You also need to make sure you're using the most recent version of WMS.  The WMS HEC-HMS interface used to limit the number of points to 300, but this was fixed in WMS 9.0 and in more recent versions.  The fix was made back in January 2013, so any version after that date has been fixed.

Thanks,

Chris

Dear Chris

So, do you recommend me to delete the zero values from the columns (for only 3 months of the year I have 2 or 3 rainfall values and the rest of the days are zeros)? Or take the average for each month so the data will be monthly (it will be 2 or 3 month have that average and the rest of the year will be zeros)? Which approach you recommend for better building the hydrologic models?

Best regards

Ayman98,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply.  I'd definitely recommend keeping the zero's if you are using HMS and probably any of the other models.  Having more frequent data than monthly data will give you a better model.  At least daily data is a good idea if you are doing a long-term model and possibly hourly data if you have it.

Chris