GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris Blount

Easiest way to find voids in mesh

I have a grid of 100k nodes and the model check says I have voids in the mesh. I turned on the mesh boundary, but I can't seem to locate them. I should be seeing a mesh boudary that doesn't correspond to a nodestring for a BC, correct? It'd be nice if there was a "zoom to" or "select" function for finding these sorts of errors (similar to the "select disjoint nodes" I guess).

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will talk to the other developers about implementing a more user friendly tool for finding voids in the future.

I have found the following method useful at times when in the same situation:

# Open the Display Options (CTRL+D)

# Select the 2D mesh display options

# Click "All Off"

# Click "OK" to exit

# Make the 2D Mesh Module active

# Make the Select Element tool active

# Select all (CTRL+A)

All the elements are now selected - sometimes I can see the voids at this point easier than using the mesh boundary display by panning and zooming while the elements are selected.

If that doesn't work, feel free to contact tech support and send them your mesh file - tell them John Howlett agreed to help you.

- John

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will talk to the other developers about implementing a more user friendly tool for finding voids in the future.

I have found the following method useful at times when in the same situation:

# Open the Display Options (CTRL+D)

# Select the 2D mesh display options

# Click "All Off"

# Click "OK" to exit

# Make the 2D Mesh Module active

# Make the Select Element tool active

# Select all (CTRL+A)

All the elements are now selected - sometimes I can see the voids at this point easier than using the mesh boundary display by panning and zooming while the elements are selected.

If that doesn't work, feel free to contact tech support and send them your mesh file - tell them John Howlett agreed to help you.

- John

John,

I tried that and still couldn't find anything. I have lots of islands, but that shouldn't be causing the problem. I used the LTEA toolbox to generate my grid and both the final grid from the toolbox (before I manually edited it) and the original linear grid show the voids issue. The grid file is 12 MB (over my student email limit). Can you send the link to the ftp?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Let me know if you are having problems uploading the files. I will check periodically this weekend for them.

- John

Chris,

Let me know if you are having problems uploading the files. I will check periodically this weekend for them.

- John

John,

I haven't had a chance until now to upload it. I included all three versions of the grid (linear, after LTEA, and then manually edited) because the SMS says the linear grid had a void to begin with. I'm not sure if it's actually a void or SMS is mistaking something as one.

Chris

Chris,

I will take a look and let you know what I find.

- John

Chris,

I stepped through the code and believe there is a problem in the algorithm for finding voids - that is to say, sms is reporting a void when there really is no void. I have reported this as an issue to be addressed in a future bug fix. Thank you for bringing the problem to our attention.

- John