GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
walkington

SMS 10.0.5 Editing Mesh Values

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 10.0.5 and then tried to edit a mesh. Unfortunately it appears that I am only able to change values in the current selected elevation mesh. I just selected the nodes I wanted using a poly and the node values that are selected and edited are the ones deonted as "map elevation" rather than the currently selected mesh. This is quite frustrating as I am trying to edit the spatial attributes values and obviously these aren't the current "map elevation".

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong as it never happened in earlier version:(

Ian

Ian,

The Edit Window contains two different edit fields:

* Z: - Always displays the node's elevation value (data set with the "Z" icon)

* S: - Displays the scalar value for the active data set. Can only be edited if the data set was created using the menu command "ADCIRC | Spatial Attributes". See the wiki article on Spatial Attributes.

SMS has three types of Data Sets:

* Elevation - "Z" icon - each geometric item (mesh, scatter set, grid) can have ONE elevation data set

* Scalar - "123" icon

* Vector - icon with two arrows

You will notice when you change the active mesh data set, the Z edit field does not change, but the S edit field does.

- John

Thanks for that. Has this changed in the latest version? Before I just edited the scalar data set so that I could create the data set which was then associated with the spatial attribute, now I can't edit the scalar dataset on its own. Is that right?

Sorry if I am being slow:)

Ian

Ian,

Just so I understand...

1. What version were you using before?

2. How did you edit the scalar data set before?

I am assuming you did something like this:

1. Switch to the select node tool

2. Select the nodes whose scalar value you want to edit by clicking, select by poly, etc.

3. Change the scalar value by entering values in the S: edit field

You can only do this if the data set is an ADCIRC spatial attributes data set.

I am not aware of any changes that would change this functionality.

Of note, in the scatter module, the elevation (Z) and scalar (123) data set values are the same thing. Editing the elevation (Z) value of a scatter point edits the scalar (S) value of the point. You may find it easier to create a scatter set copy of your mesh (right click on your mesh in the Project explorer and choose "Convert | Mesh -> 2D Scatter". You can then edit the data sets, and interpolate them back to the mesh (Menu Command "Scatter | Interpolate to Mesh").

Hope that helps!

- John

I want to ask something very similar:

I have a mesh and I export some points from that mesh, edit the elevations. What I want to do is to import that new text file with X,Y,Z (X,Y original- Z edited) - I use the import wizard to do this. With all 3 columns visible in the file preview, I select SMS data type as: Mesh - Mapping options: Merge duplicate nodes & Append mesh selected - Triangulate data not selected.

first trial:

I increase the tolerance to 100 and 31 out of 40 points are matched. I increased the tolerance to 100000000, 33 out of 40 duplicate nodes were found and merged (not all of them). Then I switch to Mesh Module and check the nodes with select mesh node and nothing is actually changed.

Is there any easy way to edit the elevations in an existing mesh automatically? As I mentioned, from a txt file with the exact same X,Y coordinates with the original mesh and Z(elevation) edited within 1-2 meters range.

thank you

Sorry, I'm not sure there is an easy way to do what you would like.

The merge duplicate nodes feature finds nodes within tolerance of existing nodes. The first node in the list of duplicates is kept while the others are deleted. This means that when you tried the steps below it is likely that the original nodes were found first and the ones with the new z elevations were deleted.

The only option that I can think of for you is to export the file to a .2dm file. This file format is a card based format (each line starts with an identifier). The format is described at: http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:2D_Mesh_Files_(*.2dm). Then you can edit the values and read the mesh back into SMS.

If you are trying to assign different elevations that could be computed using the data calculator, you can use the map elevation functionality to map a different dataset as the z elevation (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:Map_Elevation). If the data calculator doesn't work for what you need, you could make a utility that computes the z values you want to use and write them in a ASCII(or binary) dataset file read it in and map it (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:ASCII_Data_Set_Files_(*.dat)).

I hope these give you some ideas of options. Please let me know what you are trying to do so we can see if there is a way to better meet your needs in future versions.

I want to ask something very similar:

I have a mesh and I export some points from that mesh, edit the elevations. What I want to do is to import that new text file with X,Y,Z (X,Y original- Z edited) - I use the import wizard to do this. With all 3 columns visible in the file preview, I select SMS data type as: Mesh - Mapping options: Merge duplicate nodes & Append mesh selected - Triangulate data not selected.

first trial:

I increase the tolerance to 100 and 31 out of 40 points are matched. I increased the tolerance to 100000000, 33 out of 40 duplicate nodes were found and merged (not all of them). Then I switch to Mesh Module and check the nodes with select mesh node and nothing is actually changed.

Is there any easy way to edit the elevations in an existing mesh automatically? As I mentioned, from a txt file with the exact same X,Y coordinates with the original mesh and Z(elevation) edited within 1-2 meters range.

thank you

The easiest solution I can think of is to read your modified file in as a scatter set and then interpolate the values to the existing mesh from the new scatter set.

Sorry, I'm not sure there is an easy way to do what you would like.

The merge duplicate nodes feature finds nodes within tolerance of existing nodes. The first node in the list of duplicates is kept while the others are deleted. This means that when you tried the steps below it is likely that the original nodes were found first and the ones with the new z elevations were deleted.

The only option that I can think of for you is to export the file to a .2dm file. This file format is a card based format (each line starts with an identifier). The format is described at: http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:2D_Mesh_Files_(*.2dm). Then you can edit the values and read the mesh back into SMS.

If you are trying to assign different elevations that could be computed using the data calculator, you can use the map elevation functionality to map a different dataset as the z elevation (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:Map_Elevation). If the data calculator doesn't work for what you need, you could make a utility that computes the z values you want to use and write them in a ASCII(or binary) dataset file read it in and map it (see http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:ASCII_Data_Set_Files_(*.dat)).

Thank you for the response Rusty,

here is how it went:

I exported a port of my mesh as .2dm file and edited the elevations of 2 nodes in the file. Then imported it in to SMS10.1 (64bit) and "Append" - the nodes that I edited do not have the new elevations.

Data calculator won't work for me as my changes are not based on a formula.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is to write a script to edit the fort.14 file directly by matching the coordinates and overwriting the elevations.

I hope these give you some ideas of options. Please let me know what you are trying to do so we can see if there is a way to better meet your needs in future versions.

What I am trying to do is basically this:

I have a mesh, I want to select some nodes and edit their elevations. I can do it manually from the top by changing the Z value - obviously it takes time. The question is what would you do to change the elevation of say 100 node points in a mesh (I know the exact coordinates of the nodes that I am interested-or IDs)?

What would be best (suggestion for future versions)

I would love to be able to select the nodes that I want to edit then see the attributes (coordinates,elevations,etc) of the selected nodes in a excel like spreadsheet - totally editable (I tried to do this by saving as the selected nodes to a tabular text file - but I cannot see the information of the nodes(coordinates and elevations) under DataSet in the Save as secreen ).

Example: I got the coordinates and the elevations in a text/excel file I could just copy the new elevations to the elevation column in the spreadsheet and save.

I believe it would be a very practical addition for people who needs to edit nodal attributes for different case studies, different runs etc.

I think this forum is great to improve this software and get direct information from developers and experienced users !

Onur

The easiest solution I can think of is to read your modified file in as a scatter set and then interpolate the values to the existing mesh from the new scatter set.

I already tried that, it's not working for me. Attached are the mesh and the text file with the nodes (original coordinates and new elevations) for testing.

Onur

Ahh, we were thinking your xyz file had the same number and location of nodes as your original mesh. Now I see your xyz file is only a few of the mesh nodes.

For this few of points, why don't you just select the nodes manually and change them?

Where were these new values coming from?

Rusty

I already tried that, it's not working for me. Attached are the mesh and the text file with the nodes (original coordinates and new elevations) for testing.

Onur

Ahh, we were thinking your xyz file had the same number and location of nodes as your original mesh. Now I see your xyz file is only a few of the mesh nodes.

For this few of points, why don't you just select the nodes manually and change them?

Where were these new values coming from?

Rusty

Hey Rusty,

sorry if I could not explain my problem clearly earlier.

Few points points because it was a test case I prepared for you to look at. Think about having 100s of those to edit instead of 5 - doing that manually would be very "fun".

The new values will come from Geospatial analysis of dunes in coastal areas. The new elevations values in the text file are just "-5", I just put it there, it has no significance.

If your geospatial analysis output valid elevations at all the nodes in the mesh whether they change or not then the interpolation would work fine. Otherwise, you'll have to edit values in the 2dm file and load it back in or something.

Hey Rusty,

sorry if I could not explain my problem clearly earlier.

Few points points because it was a test case I prepared for you to look at. Think about having 100s of those to edit instead of 5 - doing that manually would be very "fun".

The new values will come from Geospatial analysis of dunes in coastal areas. The new elevations values in the text file are just "-5", I just put it there, it has no significance.