GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
walkington

ADCIRC Spatial Attributes

Hi,

I have been trying to apply a spatially distributed bottom friction to my model but have found it problematic. It would seem that it doesn't matter which dataset I choose as the the spatial values the program just uses the currently assigned elevation dataset. So to get the values to work I have to create a new elevation dataset which contains the values I want and then assign this. Then I have to recreate the original elevation dataset so that the fort.14 file is written correctly. This leads me to two points that would be helpful, to me at least, if changed. Firstly the spatial attributes section should use the dataset I want not just the specified elevation dataset, and secondly, is it not possible to select a dataset to be the elevation dataset without having to create a new one?

OK actually I do have another thing. Can you make use of the default value. I have quite a large grid and I only want a small subset of nodes to have a different friction value but the fort.13 file defines every node point. This make for a big file, in my case over 3MB, and I am having to copy this file across a broadband connection. If only the node values that weren't the default were specified the file would be much smaller, and I believe that this is the point of the default value. It wouldn't be hard to just check if the value matched the default and if it does then don't write it to the file.

Thanks

Ian

PS Really not quite sure what I was doing with the title but cant see how to edit it so that my spelling doesn't look quite as bad as it really is :unsure:

- Title edited by John

Edited by John Howlett

Hi,

I am not sure what version of SMS you are using. If you are using SMS 10.0 you should not be having this problem. Please go through this link to find out more about the upgrades in SMS 10.0

http://www.xmswiki.com/index.php?title=SMS:New_in_SMS_10.0

To download SMS 10.0:

http://pubftp.ems-i.com/download/SMS/SMS%2010.0/

download the sms100ful.exe which is third from the bottom.

If you still have the problem you can contact us at support@aquaveo.com or (801) 691-5530

-Gaurab

Hi,

The problem isn't exactly as I stated previously it doesn't use the elevation specified value it just uses the first not default one in the list whichever I select:(.

I am using SMS 10.0.1 which I expect I shall upgrade to 10.0.5 soon (ie when I find the time)

Thanks

Ian,

There must be a problem in the SMS code - it is supposed to only write non-default values to the fort.13 in the future. I have reported both issues to our issue tracker.

- John

Hi,

I have just updated to 10.0.8 and this problem is still occuring. The really annoying part is that you can't change the order of the datasets without physically deleting them when choosing the attributes file.

On a seperate point, I now can't alter the S values in the Mesh module. The S box is always greyed out and the Z box is always editable. The only way I can now change non-elevation values is by converting my nodes to scatter sets and editing them there before interpolating them back onto the mesh.

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

The problems you reported earlier have been reported, but are not yet resolved.

I am able to edit the scalar values for datasets created using the ADCIRC | Spatial Attributes menu, but only for datasets created using this menu (which is by design). Are you unable to edit the scalar values for datasets created in this manner?

John

Thanks for the reply.

I can edit the S field for the attributes mesh values, but I can't edit the S values for any other mesh data set. Could I not do this before? I thought that I could because I think that that is how I made the attributes mesh data that I wanted to be used. I guess now though I just create the attributes data set and then edit that one. Although if that is the case then why allow the selection of an attributes dataset anyway? The reason that I edit the mesh values is because it stops the annoying problem of the interpolation leaking values into areas I don't want set. In the mesh module I can set the nodes to the friction values I want easily, although this was probabley obvious:)

Thanks again

Ian

Ian,

I can edit the S field for the attributes mesh values, but I can't edit the S values for any other mesh data set. Could I not do this before? I thought that I could because I think that that is how I made the attributes mesh data that I wanted to be used.

Only spatial attribute data sets created using the ADCIRC | Spatial Attributes menu can be edited. This has always been the case as far as I know. The reason is many of the datasets read into SMS come from model output files, which SMS does not resave, so any edits would be lost.

I guess now though I just create the attributes data set and then edit that one.

Correct.

Although if that is the case then why allow the selection of an attributes dataset anyway?

If you select an attributes dataset, a copy of the dataset is created which can be edited. It is a way to "seed" the values.

- John

We found out why SMS writes all of the values including the default values as well as the problem you reported elsewhere about not being able to specify a dataset to provide input values. Both of these issues have been fixed and will be included in our next update (2-4 weeks).

Rusty

I am having similar issues using 11.0 64-bit. When I want to apply spatial attributes, I can only select the default value or the elevation data set I used to generate the mesh. I, too, would like to populate the spatial attributes from another source (preferably a raster) and apply the default values to nodes outside the extent of the raster.

SMS 11.0 does not include the feature that you have requested; however, SMS 11.1 has been released and allows the user to create a raster from an image, as well as the ability to use rasters as a source for population. We have no plans at this time to add this feature to SMS 11.0.

Raiphe