GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Waverly

Master Plan modeling with WMS

I am working on a master drainage project for a city and I'm looking for some tips and suggestions for how to most efficiently use WMS. I am somewhat new to the program and I'm not quite sure how to accomplish what I want to model. Mostly, I will need to model master drainage channels and large storm drain pipes within the watershed. What is the best, most efficient way to input this data? We would also like to model the major culvert passings and road embankments. To further complicate things we are only modeling a portion of the city and there is another city uphill of this one whose drainage facilities come into our portion. Is there a way to add this data as inflow points on the boundary of the watershed (our boundary will be drawn at the city line)? The watershed is on the scale of 100 sq. miles in a relatively flat, urban area. Thanks in advance for any suggestions given!

Waverly,

I think you can do almost everything you need using the EPA SWMM and the SWMM interface in WMS. The smartest way to setup your model would be to bring in any pipe, channel, and watershed boundary lines into WMS and then convert this data to arcs/polygons in the Storm Drain coverage (lines) and the Drainage coverage (polygons) in the WMS map module. You can read this data as GIS shapefiles or as CAD data (DXF, DWG, or DGN format). If you have the pipes in a GIS, you can read the pipe lengths, slopes, invert elevations, and other attributes into WMS and these parameters will be automatically exported to your EPA SWMM model. There's an EPA SWMM tutorial on our WMS learning center that steps you through the process of creating a SWMM model for a small subdivision.

If you want to model the watersheds in your urban area along with your storm drain network, you will need both a "Drainage" coverage and a "Storm Drain" coverage as it talks about in this tutorial. You would just model your inflows from the other urban areas or possibly from rural areas as either a hydrograph or a steady-state peak flow value in your EPA SWMM model. You would setup a basic model in WMS, export the model to EPA SWMM, and then finish setting up your model in EPA SWMM. EPA SWMM has its own interface that's easy to learn and input data. If you need to do any hydrology, I'd use either the Rational or the TR-55 methods for small sub-basins or the HEC-HMS model for large rural basins. HMS can be used for the small basins too, but it requires just a little more setup. You can link your hydrographs computed using these models to your EPA SWMM model.

You might need more detailed models of the culverts and some of the channels. I would make separate WMS projects to model each individual culvert or channel you need to model. The HY-8 program is the best application out there for modeling culvert crossings and HEC-RAS is what you want to use if you want to model any of the channels in more detailed. You can run HY-8 as a stand alone application or it can be run from WMS. It might be easiest for you to run HY-8 in stand alone mode. WMS should be used to setup an HEC-RAS model. There are tutorials on the WMS learning center that describe how to setup HY-8 and HEC-RAS models using WMS.

If you are having trouble figuring things out, it might be a good idea to take a WMS training course. We talk about how to do all these things in the WMS training course. Unfortunately, we don't have any more training courses planned for the rest of the year. We also provide hourly consulting services at Aquaveo if you need help.

That is lots of information. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for your prompt response. I had a feeling this was the direction I would need to use, but wanted to verify with someone more familiar with the program. I will revisit those tutorials and try implementing the ideas in my model. Thank you again!