Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
farah.ahmad

Error 40024 in HEC-HMS

7 posts in this topic

Hi. Does anyone have an idea about this HEC-HMS error?

"ERROR 40024: Invalid or missing excess precipitation data for grid cell"

Thank you in advance.

Farah.

Farah,

That error comes up because precipitation data is not defined for each cell on your ModClark grid. Did you define your ModClark grid using WMS? Did you define your precipitation data in WMS by either interpolating radar precipitation to your 2D grid or by defining a precipitation hyetograph in WMS? If you've done this, WMS should export the precipitation grid correctly and HMS reads this grid information when you open your .hms file. Also, be sure you're using the most recent version of WMS 9.1 or WMS 10.0. There have been some bugs fixed in these versions to improve exporting ModClark grid information. If you've done everything correctly, you can send your WMS and/or HMS files to me by zipping them up and putting them at ftp://pubftp.aquaveo.com/incoming and I can take a look at your files to see what I can find.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you Chris for your reply.

Well, yes i defined ModClark grids using WMS 9.1. For the precipitation, I created "Rain Gage" coverage and I computed gage weights in WMS. Then I defined the precipitation using "User gage weighting". When I saved the hms file, a dss file was created by WMS for precipitation. While running the model in HEC-HMS, the error 40024 occured.

Is this procedure is suitable to define precipitation grid based on Thiessen Polygon method gage weighting? Is there any other method to define precipitation grid based on gages?

Thanks,

Farah

Farah,

Sorry it's taken a few days to reply. I have been swamped with stuff, but I wanted to get back to you about where I was with this. I need to test running an HMS ModClark-based model that uses precipitation gages. Our tutorial uses a precipitation hyetograph and we test this method every night, so this option should work with a ModClark model. We do not automatically test the option to use precipitation gages, so I need to test this option manually to see what happens when gages are used. If you change your meteorological model precipitation method to use a user hyetograph and define a time series curve and total precipitation, you should be able to run your ModClark model. Unfortunately, this option does not allow you to define several precipitation values at various rain gage stations. You would have to weight your precipitation values at the various gages and use a single value for precipitation in your model. You could also use radar precipitation data (arc/info ASCII grid files for each radar time step would be best) if you have that kind of data available. I probably won't get to testing the gage weighting method until next week, but hope to get back with you about this.

Chris

Chris,

I appreciate your reply.

As you said, modClark works if I define a user hyetograph. But this method overestimates the runoff in the watershed case of study. It is a large watershed (1300 km^2) where the precipitation varies largely over the area and no radar precipitation data is available for me. That's why I choose to use precipitation gages. Thank you for the time you give.

Farah

Farah,

I tried using gage weights with the HMS ModClark tutorial files and it worked fine. WMS is set up to handle gages in a precipitation coverage when exporting the HMS file. I think there are two things you can check. First, you should check to make sure that you have at least one rain gage defined in WMS that has a temporal distribution assigned. This distribution needs to define a cumulative rainfall distribution for your model run. Some sample rainfall distributions are included with WMS and can be accessed from the drop-down box in the XY Series Editor. Also, make sure you've defined a storm total precipitation value for each of your rainfall gages.

If you've done these things and you have assigned the gages to HMS and computed the gage weights from the Drainage module | DEM menu, you should have everything setup correctly in WMS. Be sure you're using the latest version of WMS 9.1 or 10.0 and that you have the correct version of HMS installed on your computer.

I think your problem might be that you have not assigned a temporal distribution to a rain gage as described in the first paragraph. If you don't do this, the DSS grid that HMS uses to determine your precipitation in your ModClark model will have values of 0.0 for every time step and you might get an error message.

I'd recommend sending your question and associated files to Aquaveo's tech support team if you've followed all the right steps and if you continue to have an issue. Information about contacting tech support is located here: http://www.aquaveo.com/technical-support

Regards,

Chris