GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Michael59

Joining River Reach Feature Objects

Hi,

Is there a way to join feature objects together in WMS?

For example, I have imported shapefiles with river and bank centrelines, but when importing, for example the centrelines, sometimes I have several feature object segments which, for modelling purposes should all be one reach.

It would be useful to be able to select all of these and join them (otherwise I have to go back and pester my GIS guys - I owe them too many favours already!).

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

I think you're saying that you have several feature arcs that you need to convert to a single feature arc. There is a way to do this in WMS--Here's what you would do:

1. Select Feature Objects | Clean

2. Select the option to Snap Nodes. Enter a tolerance that's large enough so all the nodes combine to create a single arc.

3. Select all the nodes on the arc you want to be a single arc and select Feature Objects | Vertex<->Node. Your arc should make a single arc.

If you have several shapefiles with river and bank information, you should be able to convert all these shapefiles to feature objects by selecting them and using the GIS->Feature Objects command.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks - that makes sense.

One other thing - I have been getting an error message that says "Error writing HEC-RAS import file. Unable to load cross-section geometry from file"

Any idea what causes this? It happened twice today. The second time, it happened when I saved jjust after editing material property objects - and I can't see how this has anything to do with the cross section coverage.

Michael

Michael,

That error happens if WMS has trouble reading your cross section database files. There are probably several reasons why this could happen, but you could fix the problem by re-extracting your cross sections in the 1D-Hyd Cross Section coverage in the Map module. WMS prompts you to save a file when extracting the cross sections. Make sure the folder where the cross sections are extracted is the same as where you are saving your WMS and HEC-RAS project files.

Also make sure you have the most recent version of WMS 9.1 (if your license is up-to-date). There are some bugs that have been fixed with cross section database files in the most recent version of WMS 9.1.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris