GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
mattioli4

Singling out sets of Data points

I'm dealing with a scatter consisting of cross sections of the entire Ohio River. I need to single out every cross section (hundreds, if not a thousand or two) and save it as its own file. I have been selecting each cross section individually, inverting the selection, and then deleting the data points for all cross sections in the scatter except the originally selected one. I then save the file as it's own and then reopen the original and repeat the process with the next cross section.

Is there any better, more efficient way of doing this? I'm doing this for a professor and neither he nor I know of a better method.

You could try this...

Select the points for a particular cross section and then assign the points all the same data set value (first cross section is 1 the next is 2...). Then export the scatter set to *.txt and open that file in excel. You can then sort on the data set value column to separate the cross sections into their own files.

Is there any way to have the names appear along with the cross sections upon opening the *.txt file in excel? By that I mean, the names serving as a break between the cross sections on the spreadsheet. I don't think excel's sort function will be of any use here as the cross sections have x, y, and z coordinates and different cross sections can have the same x, y, or z coordinate as another (but not all three, obviously).

Edited by mattioli4

I think that what Alan is referencing here is a 3D Scatter Set. These have x,y,z coordinates as well as a data value (typically given as "f" if you were to View Values within GMS). The idea then is that you would select all the points of a given cross section and give it an F-value of 1. The next cross section would have an F-value of 2 and so on. You can assign these data set values by selecting all the points and then entering in a number in the "F: " field, located beside the xyz coordinates in one of the toolbars at the top of the GMS project explorer screen.

Then when you export the scatter set as a tabular .txt file each set of points in a cross section can be classified or sorted according to the F-value. I'll include an attached example of a dummy 3D scatter data set that I've exported from GMS.

Would this be something useful to you? You would be sorting the dataset column in Excel in ascending or descending order.

Cross_Section_ex.txt

Edited by jgrayson