GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Hydrology

CE-Qual-W2 problem list

Below is a list of problems that I have noted in using Qual-W2 with WMS. It seems that there is a lot of potential here, but the little errors need to be cleaned up.

1. The File/Save command erases some of the model data that was created for the Qual-W2 model. The save simulation under the CE-Qual-W2 menu saves the data, but when you use the File/Save command, much of the model data is erased from the control file.

2. The control file has the wrong variable designations for the WD TOP card. The ETWD variable should be KTWD

3. The WD Bot card is incorrectly saved as a second WD Top card

4. The variable name for the WD Bot card is incorrect, you have EBWD and it should be KBWD

5. The Water Body Job Control menu under the CE-Qual-W2 menu will crash the program is you enter that menu twice.

6. The control file has the wrong variable designations for the TRIB PLACE card. The PTRC variable should be TRC

7. The default variables for the HYD COEF card are off by a factor of 10

a. AX is 0.1 but should be 1.0

b. DX is 0.1 but should be 1.0

c. CBHE is 0.1 but should be 0.3

d. FI is 0.1 but should be 0.01

e. TSEDF is 0.1 but should be 1.0

8. The Branch G Card is missing from the output file.

9. A non existent card “PUMPBACK” is inserted in the input file and causes the model to crash.

10. A non existent card “PRINTER” is inserted in the input file and causes the model to crash.

11. The names used in the active constituent list exceed 8 characters, so they corrupt the variable in the adjacent field causing the model to crash.

12. Several Variables are missing from the constituents line.

13. In the file created by WMS, the number of active constituents does not match the number of constituents in the Constituents line, causing the model to crash.

14. Clicking on the Remove water bodies button in the Water Bodies Job Control dialog box will cause the program to freeze up.

15. An extra title line is inserted into the bathymetry file which will cause the program to crash. There should only be two title lines in the bathymetry file.

16. There are one to many water surface elevations placed in the bathymetry file [ELWS]

17. The second to the last layer height in the bathmetry file is always 0.00 rather than the true layer height.

There are some other problems, but these are the ones that I have been able to identify.

Edited by Hydrology

Thank you for this detailed bug list about bugs in the CE-QUAL interface. We will fix as many of these bugs as we can, update the installation, and post the bugs fixed to this forum after the update has been posted.

Chris

Hi!

I was working with the example of the Users manual and i found some of those problems, looking for solutions I found this forum and you post really surprised me!

We bought the program on May, and we thought that it was tested and working well with the CE-QUAL-W2 module, and now I've found this message... :blink:

We are from Barcelona - Spain (UPC) and we want to study a cas of a reservoir. With WMS we only wanted to generate the control and Bathymetry files with an existing TIN, and now we found that it's not running as it had to do.

I wanted to know when will you have the solutions for those bugs, because we are really waiting for that.

Thanks ;)

Marina

Hi Marina,

You should still be able to create the bathymetry file with the current version of WMS. Just be aware of some of the limitations listed above, especially of the problem with entering the water body job control dialog...you only want to go there once. An update will be posted by the end of the month if you want to wait, but if you need to get started now, you can do what you need to do but there will be limitations.

Chris

Hi Chris,

well, I think that I've solved most of all of the problems with te control file (running the preprocessor I've changed some of the parameters, titles and values), but now, the main problem is that the layer heights in the bathymetry file are always 0.00 rather than the true layer height. What can I do?

thanks ;)

Marina

Edited by Marina

Hi Chris,

well, I think that I've solved most of all of the problems with te control file (running the preprocessor I've changed some of the parameters, titles and values), but now, the main problem is that the layer heights in the bathymetry file are always 0.00 rather than the true layer height. What can I do?

thanks ;)

Marina

Hi Marina,

I think I can help. WMS does a good job of saving your TIN and your segment and branch coverages, but it doesn't do a good job of reading back in the layer widths and heights from the bathymetry file. So if you've created your bathymetry and control files once, then you go back and open your WMS project again and change a few things, you will also have to recompute your storage capacity curve, your segment lengths, your layer heights, and layer widths. It's inconvenient, I'll admit, but as long as you have your segment and branch coverages set up already, it shouldn't take long to recompute everything. If you don't redo this, your layer heights will show up as 0.0.

Also, you mentioned that you have your control file setup already, right? I would rename this file (to make sure it doesn't get overwritten when WMS writes out a bathymetry and control file), and then go into WMS to redo just the bathymetry file. By default, WMS will write out both the bathymetry and control files, but if you've already got a working control file, you can ignore the one WMS writes out (as long as you haven't changed the number of branches or segments of course).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Clark