GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
ashmitas

Help needed with CE-QUAL W2

Hi, I am new to the WMS- CE-QUAL W2. I followed the instructions in Using TINs tutorial to import a bathymetry file, convert it to TIN, and then triangulate the TIN. All measurements are in meters. From there, I followed tutorial #9 for CE-QUAL W2 set up. However, during step 9.2 : branch identification, in the select the "Get lengths and orientation of branch segments tool" I get an error message: could not assign length and orientation for segment XX.

Also, it seems there are multiple segments with the same number assigned to them (this was not the case right after creating the segments). These segments though have different areas assigned to them.

Looking for help on how to proceed on assigning length and orientation. And in case someone has pointers on more detailed tutorials, and other help, it'll be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ashmitas,

When you're using the "Get lengths and orientation of branch segments" tool, that error message comes up if you do not have 2 intersections for each of the segments in one of your branches. I recommend finding the segment that's giving you grief and make sure you are crossing this segment in two locations (no more, no less) when your trace the flow path in your branch. If you're not intersecting the segment polygon in 2 locations, this is why you're getting the error. If you are, there might be something else wrong that's more complicated. In this case, contact the tech support guys and they should be able to help.

I'm not sure why you're getting the duplicate segment numbers. You should always select the option to map segments to branches before using the segment length/orientation tool. I'd also assign your most upstream segments to your branches. After you're done with the tool and you don't get any errors, you can renumber your segments and the duplicate segment numbers should go away.

If you follow the instructions in the WMS interface when using the segment length/orientation tool, you should not have any problems. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank your for your response.

1) For the segment numbering I did map segment to branches. I followed the instructions on the tutorial. When I created the segments (topic 8 on the tutorial), I first created the duplicate, named the coverage as segment. Then I used the create feature arc tool to draw line (perpendicular to flow direction) to break the main branch. Then I selected the build polygon feature. When I check the segments with the select feature polygon tool, I can see the segments numbered differently. It's when I initialize the CE-QUAL W2 and then map segments-branches is when it seems to change to a bunch of 12s and one segment numbered 5.

2) Not sure how to check if there are 2 intersections for each segments in one of the branches.

Ashmitas,

Make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of WMS. There was an updated version released this month. If you are up-to-date and you're still having problems, send your files and a description of the problem you're having to tech support and they should be able to help you out. When you assign length and orientation, the line you draw needs to intersect each of the segment polygons in 2 locations.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you think that my problem could be from convertion of a shp file to TIN? I use triangulation, but have a 64 bit machine. I saw an old post from you saying triangulation is not successful on a 64 bit machine. Still trying to figure this out before I contact the tech support.

Thanks

Ashmita

Edited by ashmitas

Ashmita,

The problem with triangulation on 64-bit machines has been fixed in an update a year or two ago, so that is probably not the problem. If you're following the steps I described above, you should not be getting an error message. If you are still getting an error message, your best bet is to contact Tech Support and they can help you with your problem. They will contact one of the WMS developers if they cannot figure out how to fix the problem you're having.

Chris