sgfulton

Geosection to Points tool: not populating GeoSectionID

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am using an AHGW evaluation license and working my way through the tutorials. I have tried again and again to complete the Creating Rasters from Cross Sections tuturial, but I can never create geovolumes. I think perhaps I've pinpointed my problem down to the GeoSections to Points tool. Every time I try the very first step (i.e., using the GeoSection to Points tool) using the Woburn_geosection_to_points.sxd, the BorePoints feature class attribute table doesn't seem to be updating correctly with the new 3D points. As the tutorial states, you should be able to open the BorePoints feature class attribute table and see that the "...GeoSectionID field was populated for each with the HydroID of the associated GeoSection panel (the original BorePoint features will not have a GeoSectionID as they were created from borehole data)."

I've attached a copy of part of the attribute table showing both the original Borepoint features and the new created ones.

Can someone please help me? I've been trying to finish up a presentation for a class and only have a 2 week period to do so before my evaluation license expires.post-36020-0-25822500-1394484288_thumb.g

Thank you,

Stephanie

I also have another problem: I am unable to load the rasters I just made using IDW (as per the same tutorial above). I am getting an error stating "Failed to execute (Copyraster)".

Here's the error message in full:

Executing: RasterToGeodatabase 'C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon5';'C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon5b';'C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon6';'C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon7' "C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\woburn.mdb\GeoRasters" #
Start Time: Mon Mar 10 17:17:38 2014
Running script RasterToGeodatabase...
Failed to convert C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon5. ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Failed to execute (CopyRaster).
Failed to convert C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon5b. ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Failed to convert C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon6. ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Failed to convert C:\Users\Stephanie\Documents\ArcGIS\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection_to_Points\Tutorials\subsurface analyst\GeoSection to Points\rasters\horizon7. ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Completed script RasterToGeodatabase...
Succeeded at Mon Mar 10 17:17:44 2014 (Elapsed Time: 6.00 seconds)
I appreciate your help on these matters.
Stephanie

You can continue on after running GeoSection to Points without all the attributes populated in the table. The HorizonID field is assigned for the new points, which is all you need to continue.

As for the "Raster to Geodatabase (multiple)" tool not working, try doing the following:

Delete the GeoRasters raster catalog.

Create a new version of the GeoRasters raster catalog by running the "Modify AHGW Geodatabase" tool, found under Arc Hydro Groundwater Tools, Groundwater Analyst. Select the woburn.mdb geodatabase you are using in the tutorial for the "Input Geodatabase" parameter. Under "Subsurface Datasets to Create" choose GeoRasters. Hit OK to run the tool. A new raster catalog will be created that's compatible with the version of ArcGIS you are using.

Now, run "Raster To Geodatabase (multiple)" just like in the tutorial. The rasters will be copied to the new GeoRasters raster catalog.

You should be able to continue on in the tutorial to generate GeoSection and GeoVolume features (section 7 in the tutorial).

The GeoSectionID attributes for the new BorePoint features (after running GeoSection to Points) are null because the original HydroID attributes from GeoSection features are also null. If you assign HydroID values to GeoSection features and then run the tool, the GeoSectionID attributes will be copied from the original GeoSection features. HorizonID, HGUID, HGUCode are also attributes copied from the original GeoSection features.

Doug, I deleted the GeoRaster catalog and ran the "Modify AHGW Geodatabase" tool. Then I ran "Raster To Geodatabase (multiple)" again and it worked! Thanks. However, when I went to edit the attributes of the GeoRasters catalog I got an error stating the GeoRaster "Spatial reference doesn't match data frame" (see attached). (I ran into this same problem when working on the "Creating GeoRasters from Borehole Data" tutorial.) I then reran the "Modify AHGW Geodatabase" tool using "GRS_1980_Lambert_Conformal_Conic" from the raster "dem_woburn" as the Spatial Reference (optional). But I got the following error: "WARNING 000632: Datum conflict between map and output." So I checked the spatial reference of the rasters I created from the BorePoint point feature (i.e., horizon5, horizon5b, horizon6 and horizon7) under "Properties" and under Spatial Reference it says "NAD83_Massachusetts_Mainland_ft".

Can you tell me why the dem and borehole data have different spatial references and why this is creating a problem when I try to load them into a raster catalog?

Thanks.

The message about the map and output is probably happening because the display projection and units in the map's data frame differ from the data being used.

I'm still a beginner at ArcGIS, so perhaps you explain in more detail and how to correct the problem? I don't understand the difference between the "map and "output", or "map data frame" and the data itself. I thought ArcGIS could handle these types of differences on the fly now?

All the data is from the tutorial and I haven't changed the datum, projections or spatial references (I don't understand the need for all these different terminologies, although I did read up on in ArcGIS Help) of the original data so I don't understand why the data would suddenly be incompatible. I looked at the data source under properties and for some reason they're different; this is what I found:

All the data layers (Well, Model Boundary, etc.) use the following geographic coordinate system, projection and datum:

Projected Coordinate System: NAD_1983_StatePlane_California_II_FIPS_0402_Feet
Projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic
False_Easting: 6561666.66666667
False_Northing: 1640416.66666667
Central_Meridian: -122.00000000
Standard_Parallel_1: 38.33333333
Standard_Parallel_2: 39.83333333
Latitude_Of_Origin: 37.66666667
Linear Unit: Foot_US
Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983
Datum: D_North_American_1983
Prime Meridian: Greenwich
Angular Unit: Degree
However, for some reason the raster file dem30m, provided with the tutorial, doesn't have any of the projection (i.e., Lambert_Conformal_Conic), datum (D_North_American_1983) or geographic coordinate system (GCS_North_American_1983) information associated with other layers, only a projected coordinate system (NAD_1983_StatePlane_California_II_FIPS_0402_Feet). Is this causing the problem? I just tried to project dem30m using the and got the following error (just like you state above): WARNING 000632: Datum conflict between map and output.
How do I fix this?
Thanks

For more information on the warning you mentioned, see this link:

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00vp0000001v000632.htm

"This is a warning; no change is necessary."

Check either the Scene Properties (ArcScene: View, Scene Properties...), or Data Frame Properties (ArcMap: View, Data Frame Properties...) depending on which application you're running. This will show the scene or data frame's spatial reference being displayed. This may differ than some of the layers being displayed in the scene/map, which is always projected on the fly.

In the data associated with the GeoSection to Points tutorial, you'll find a mix of NAD83 / Massachusetts Mainland [ft] and GRS_1980_Lambert_Conformal_Conic.