GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Mithun Deb

Mesh generation from scatter

Hello everyone,

I am trying to modify a previously done heavy mesh and generating it in a new shape by increasing resolution in my area of interest. Matter is, it is crashing during the run with ADCIRC+SWAN.

1. I made mesh to scatter from that main mesh using SMS 11.1.

2. Reduced the resolution of the whole scatter set by setting nodal tolerance limit.

3. Then, added some nodes at my area of interest manually.

4. Imported the mesh boundaries from the previous mesh and added nodestrings to all of them.

5. Made the polygon and applied scatter to mesh command.

6. Finally interpolated the bathymetry from the previous mesh.

Now, SMS model checker is showing that, there is no problem with the new mesh. Also I have added nodal attributes (fort.13) of the previous mesh which got modified by SMS for the new one. I was trying to run it with Isabel (fort.22) & ADCIRC+SWAN model for last few days in a super computing environment.

But, it's getting crashed every time after the time step of 600 seconds. Now, I am confused with the matter that, what is going wrong with it?

Is it a mesh problem? or I need to create a fresh fort.13 for the mesh?

Thanks.

Edited by Mithun Deb

Mithun,

This is the Aquaveo technical support team. We would like to take a look at your problem and see if we can replicate the issue. Would you mind emailing us at support@aquaveo.com with these same steps you just described. We can then give you instructions on how to upload your files to our FTP site.

Thanks,

Aquaveo Technical Support

Thanks. I have sent an email already.

What are the steps one should follow in working with a historic mesh to increase the resolution. Is there any post-processing required after creating the new mesh?

Mithun,

If I want to increase the resolution (or decrease it for that matter) of an existing mesh, the easiest way is to scale the size function I use in my conceptual model. However, that requires that I have a conceptual model that I used to generate the mesh and I used a size function.

If I don't have a size function, you can create one using the dataset toolbox. The steps are as follows:

1- create a "spacing" dataset (This computes the average edge length for each node in the mesh)

2- use the dataset calculator to scale the spacing dataset. (finer mesh, scale by less than one - coarser mesh, scale by greater than one)

3- convert the mesh to a scatterset

If you don't have a conceptual model at all:

1- convert the mesh to map (right click on the mesh). Converting mesh boundary to arcs.

2- Split/merge the arcs as needed to represent your boundary conditions and assign the boundary conditions to the arcs.

3- Build polygons (feature object menu).

4- Assign the polygons to use the size function (scalar density paving). If you are using patches, let me know and I can help you work through that.

Regenerate the mesh using the Map -> 2D Mesh command.

Alan