GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Dirk Herding

Assigning Grid Node Elevations GMS9

I have problems in using GMS9.

A: All the time GMS9 is “Assigning grid node elevations ”. Mostly I have to leave GMS via the Task Manager.

B: Open Project File in GMS9: the gpr-File is ~80mb and the MODFLOW Folder 764mb. It takes more than 15min to open the Project.

Everything is fine when using GMS8.3.

What’s wrong with GMS9 or my settings?

We have the same problems here with GMS 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 and it is getting even worse from GMS version to version!

At the moment it comes to the point where GMS 9.1 and 9.2 crash all the time when mapping to MODFLOW so these a bit more complex GMS Projects are not usable anymore in GMS 9.x...perfect...

Edited by C. Moebus

I have to leave gms via the task manager because nothing happens. First the status bar shows assigning grid node elevations 0%, than gms disappears complete, but it is still running (I can see it in the task manager)…

I encountered the same problems while executing the command "Map to Modflow"... using GMS 9.1 or GMS 9.2. :wacko:

I always get the status bar message: “Assigning grid node elevations“ and it will take forever :angry:

Edited by ThomasM

Dirk,

Sorry about the problem that you have run into. Obviously we have a bug here and we want to get it fixed. Can you contact support@aquaveo.com so we can create a ticket and get your project so we can figure this out.

Thomas and Christoph,

It sounds like you have run into this from version 9.0 on? Does this happen on all of your projects? Have any bug reports been submitted? This is the first that I have become aware of the problem. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Hi Alan,

no, the severe performance Problems ("Assiging Grid Node elevations" bug) started wih GMS 9.1 and still exists in GMS 9.2. I just had look in my sent emails to the Support Team - the first time I reported this bug was the 06/20/2013 - so it is more than 5 monhs ago...

As nothing happened / changed in GMS 9.1 (+9.2) I reported it again the 11/27/2013.

In our mind, the GMS 9.x series has principal performance Problems (that I also already reported to the Support Team together with some sample files) compared to GMS 8.3. One reason for that, we found out on our own - you must use a projection for all your GIS objects - especially images - otherwise every graphic Action gets extremely slow.

When opening a steady-state model (already reported) I can see the display "Reading MODFLOW computed values for observations" for 1.5 Minutes now, this normally took some seconds for a steady state model.

On top (also already reported) in GMS 9.2 editing values in the MODLFOW cell properties dialogue takes Ages now, when you leave with OK.

Edited by C. Moebus

Alan,

It was primarily a warning for other users. I imported the files and built up the model structure again (gms8.3). Ok, it took some time, but not dramatically. Maybe, the attached picture of the error messages can help you – I am searching for the “problem-gwm”…

xmdf_errors.pdf

I believe the problem with the “Assigning grid node elevations ” is now fixed and available in the nightly build. It will be included in the next update as well.

Dirk - the support team will be contacting you to find about more about the XMDF errors so that we can get that resolved as well.

Hey Alan, I installed the latest nightly build and it really solved the problem with the “Assigning grid node elevations ” - it is now really fast again!!