GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
sgfulton

Student license availability for Subsurface Analyst?

sgfulton    0

Hello,

I have a student license for ArcGIS 10.1 and am using the demo version AHGW 3.3.0. I am trying to teach myself as much as I can using the tutorials but just ran into a roadblock. I successfully completed the "Working with Borehold Data" tutorial this weekend. However, I am now working on the "Creating GeoRasters from Borehole Data" tutorial and just tried to run BoreholeLog table to Points command and got the following error:

"This tool requires a Subsurface Analyst license. To activate the license select the Help > Register command in the Groundwater Analyst, MODFLOW Analyst, or Subsurface Analyst Toolbars.

Could not create Point features from the BoreholeLog table.

Failed to execute (BoreholeLogTableToPoints).

Failed at Mon Nov 25 21:07:22 2013 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)

This tool requires a Subsurface Analyst license. To activate the license select the Help > Register command in the Groundwater Analyst, MODFLOW Analyst, or Subsurface Analyst Toolbars.

Could not create Point features from the BoreholeLog table.

Failed to execute (BoreholeLogTableToPoints).

Failed at Mon Nov 25 21:07:22 2013 (Elapsed Time: 3.00 seconds)"

The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, does not currently have any student licenses for AHGW. Is it possible to get a student license? We have number of geohydrology students that I think could benefit from learning and using this tool, but no one I know at school has a copy. I was really hoping to use AHGW in my dissertation research and hope to find funding to purchase a full license, but for now I'm stuck.

Thanks,

Stephanie

sgfulton    0

One more thing...the tutorial states that only the following is required (i.e., there is no mention of the need for a Subsurface Analyst license):

• Arc View license (or ArcEditor\ArcInfo)
  • 3D Analyst
  • Arc Hydro Groundwater Tools
  • AHGW Tutorial Files

It does mention the need for an ArcGIS service pack, which I installed this weekend (SP1), but I don't believe this is the issue.

Doug Gallup    0

Information about Academic Discounts can be found here:

http://www.aquaveo.com/discount-pricing

The Subsurface Analyst tutorials assume you have a Subsurface Analyst license. MODFLOW Analyst tutorials assume you have a MODFLOW Analyst license. The tools for both of these are installed along with the Arc Hydro Groundwater tools, but they are not enabled without a license. Without a license, you can still load in the tutorial data files to see some sample Map and Scene documents showing what Subsurface Analyst can do. The tutorials contain a solution directory, which contains files of what you would expect to see after running through the entire tutorial.