GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
malsmadi

adding cross sections in WMS after edits

Hi,

I am generating many cross sections in WMS and then editing the left and right banks in the WMS cross section editor. After spending hours on this task, and in some cases, there is a need to add one or two cross sections. The problem is that when new cross sections are added in the same cross section coverage that has been edited, and when you select generate cross sections, all the edits are lost. There is a way to just generate cross sections for the selected ones but that deletes all the information on the rest of the cross sections.

So, I am hoping there is way to add cross sections to the existing, edited, cross section coverage without losing all the edits that have been done. Thanks.

Malsmadi,

I see what you're saying. One thing you have to understand is that when you generate cross sections, WMS prompts you to save a file. When you save a file, you are saving it to a cross section database, which is 6 or so files containing all the cross section data. You can have more than one cross section database for a single WMS project, but every time you extract the cross sections from a TIN or DEM in the 1D Hyd Cross section coverage, WMS overwrites the database files unless you specify a different name for the database. The best way to create a model is to just work with a single database, but if you are trying to do what you are doing, you could select any newly created cross sections and specify a new database name for the new cross sections. This will prevent WMS from deleting the edits from previous cross sections.

We probably need to make it possible to retain edits to your existing cross section database and add cross sections to the database without existing geometry, but we have not yet added this option to WMS. I will put this on our work backlog.

Having said that, the easiest way to generate left and right bank stations is to create bank arcs that represent the left and right bank stations in a 1D Hyd Centerline coverage. I'd recommend using this method because then you can always regenerate your cross sections and your bank stations will be preserved if you mark the point properties based on the 1D Hyd Centerline coverage. Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your response.

I am creating bank arcs that represent the left and right bank stations in a 1D Hyd Centerline coverage but in some cross sections, the points need to be shifted which I do in the WMS cross section editor. But the issue as you have recognized, is after doing these edits, there is currently no way to add more cross sections to the existing database in order to export the info into HEC-RAS. If I create a second cross section database, would I be able to join the two databases into one HEC-RAS project? If not, I hope this can be added as a feature in WMS because it sounds like something many people can benefit from. Many thanks.

Malsmadi,

If you have more than one cross section database when you save your HEC-RAS project from WMS, all the cross sections in the databases that are used are saved to a single HEC-RAS project file. In WMS, your cross sections are saved in separate sets of cross section database files. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks,

Chris