GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
acaillat

Inserting large numbers of reservoir elements into HEC HMS

acaillat    0

Hello,

I am trying to model impact of beaver dams on a watershed. To do this, I am planning to use HEC HMS, with anthropogenic dams as proxies for beaver dams. However, I would need to enter on the order of 1500 - 2000 dams (or more) to cover the entire watershed. For obvious reasons, this would be tedious to do individually per dam.

Does anyone know of a method to simultaneously import large numbers of reservoir elements into HEC, perhaps with a GIS layer (which I have), or another method?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Alexandre Caillat

Masters Candidate, 2014

Bren School of Environmental Science & Management

University of California, Santa Barbara

acaillat@bren.ucsb.edu

Edited by acaillat

Alexandre,

If you are using WMS, you would need to import a line shapefile defining the streams and a point shapefile with the dam locations and with an Drainage Outlet point (5) "draintype" attribute as described on the following help page:

http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/WMS:Importing_Shapefiles

Unfortunately, there's not a way to automatically assign points as reservoirs so you will need to right-click on each outlet point in your model and assign a reservoir to each of your outlet points. Also, depending on which routing method you use, it might be difficult to define storage-discharge data for each of the reservoirs. The easiest way would be to assign the same storage-discharge curves to each of the reservoirs in WMS using the "All" row and then save your file with all the reservoirs.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris