GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

LiDAR (LAS) data and TIN with GMS

Hi Everybody, I wonder how possible to use LiDAR data with GMS. For an example, lets say I have some groundwater monitoring bores in my study area. So I use a "bores.txt" file to upload those borehole data in GMS (Similar to "holes.text" file in tutorial - "Boreholes and Cross Sections") . Now I want to snap the tops of those bores to a surface which is the surface of top soil in my study area. According to "Boreholes and Cross Sections" tutorial I should have a TIN file (with .tin extension - page 5) to do that. But I have only LiDAR data as a LAS data set to represent my study area. So could anyone please tell me how to achieve it using my LiDAR data? In fact I have used ArcGIS to generate the TIN surface for the study area with LiDAR LAS data. But I can't export that TIN surface as a file with ".tin" extension using ArcGIS (ArcMap). So I wonder if I can use GMS to generate TIN surface with LiDAR data. OR is there any other way of getting this done? Thanks - Nathan

Rasters can be converted to 2D scatter points, and 2D scatter points can be converted to a TIN. To find the commands, just right-click on the raster or scatter point set in the Project Explorer.