GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jamjr834

Run GSSHA window stops

I'm running a long-term GSSHA model and the window where it tracks the timesteps stops in the middle of writing a line. Sometimes it will still complete the model run and everything is fine. Sometimes it just stops there, it doesn't terminate with an error but it doesn't ever finish the run either. Is there a reason this might be happening? Is there a way to see if the run is still actually running and it's just not displaying in the window correctly or if it has stalled for some reason.

jamjr834,

Sometimes the entire line is not written to the model wrapper. This is a known issue; the run is not impacted if the entire line is not written. If there are errors running GSSHA or if GSSHA hangs up, you can go to the GSSHA .sum file to view any errors that have been output from running the GSSHA model. Your project file directory might also have other files with additional run information. Look for the files in the project directory that were modified most recently.

If you need to see all of your output, you can get around this problem by running your GSSHA model from the command line from outside the WMS window. Save your GSSHA project file from WMS, bring up a DOS prompt by typing "CMD" in the start menu and go to the directory where your project file is located. Copy your gssha.exe over to this directory and type "gssha <projectfile>.prj" at the command prompt where <projectfile> is your GSSHA project file name. There is some information about running from the command line on the GSSHA download page here: http://gsshawiki.com/GSSHA_Download

Hope that helps,

Chris

Hey Chris,

So I took a look at the .sum file and that has also stopped in the middle of writing a line of text. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

You can try running from DOS using the instructions I described and see if you can figure out where GSSHA gets hung up. GSSHA might be stuck in an infinite loop. Usually this is due to some kind of problem with your GSSHA input. Does your HMET or your rainfall gage file have incomplete or missing data? If you send your GSSHA project in, I can take a look at it and let you know why your simulation hangs up. Are you running GSSHA in calibration mode or are you just running a long-term simulation?

Chris

Chris,

And now I feel like an idiot. Just realized the .hmt file was not over the same time period as the precip file and model run. Pretty sure this was the problem.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff