GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mohamed Awad

Parrallel Computers

Hi,

I have two couples of questions:

1. Is GMS/PEST capable to run a model calibration run over several super computers linked across a fast network?, each of these computers with multiple cores. If Yes, is there a documentation for that. Is BeoPest included in GMS or can be integreated with it.

2. Is GMS/MODFLOW capable to run a direct run a forward run over multiple core on a single machine or across a netwrok.

Thanks for your help.

1. Built into GMS is the ability to run parallel PEST on one machine using multiple cores. Beyond that you'd need to set up parallel PEST yourself outside of GMS. BeoPest is not included with GMS and cannot be integrated with GMS. You'd need to save your files from GMS, launch BeoPest, and read the results into GMS.

2. GMS ships with a parallel build of MODFLOW, which means the PCGN solver or the SAMG solver (a commercial product), if selected, will run in parallel using multiple cores on one machine.

By the way, based on our experience, parallel MODFLOW does not make much difference until you have a large number of cells - over a million.

Thank You Michael for your prompot Reply,

Regarding point 1, i remmber that Mr. Lemon mentioned to us in a GMS course about a year ago that it is possible to run GMS/PEST across several computers connected over a network by adding the paths to each machine in a certain file.

unfortuntely, i am not able to find my notes about this file or maybe i got it wrong then?

You can edit the run management file (rmf) and then make sure to start the PSLAVE program on the remote machines before you start parallel pest on the host machine.

Dear Alan,

Two more questions:

1. Do I have to copy the model on the remote machines at the pre-specified paths in the rmf file?
  2. Do I need to install/setup GMS on the remote machines or just I have to start the PSLAVE program?

Thank you for your assistance.

You will have to copy the MODFLOW input files onto the remote computers.

You don't have to set up GMS on the remote computers. When PEST runs it uses a batch file and that batch file will have the path to the MODFLOW executable. When I do this I will usually put the MODFLOW executable in the same directory as my MODFLOW inputs and I will modify the batch file to point to this "local" MODFLOW executable. Then I will copy that folder to the various locations on the network along with PSLAVE. Then I get PSLAVE running on the remote computers. Then I launch parallel PEST on the host and you should be good to go.

I have mentioned this to the MT3D author multiple times but I have not heard or seen any developments along that front.

I have seen work done on make the reaction component to transport parallel but usually the advection and dispersion are the time consuming processes.

That's kind of surprising considering the work done 13 years ago: Parallel Processing of a Groundwater Contaminant Code by R. C. Arnett and L. E. Greenwade, May 22-26, 2000 at the 42nd Annual Cray User Group Meeting. They did determine that ~95% of the cpu time was spent in the advection calculation. Maybe they have completed the code optimization themselves. Get the pdf article here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inl.gov%2Ftechnicalpublications%2FDocuments%2F2690197.pdf&ei=5b8XUtSiEbih4AO2qIDIBw&usg=AFQjCNHVz9uVzfYz1e8yoF5tuana0N1Pnw&sig2=nf6u8CayMJBCiYWwhkUn1w

Dan

I wasn't aware of either of the items that you posted. Maybe I am mistaken in my understanding of MT3D parallel capabilities. I will check the the MT3D author and see what I can find out.