GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JKM

Presentation Graphics

Chris,

In a previous post you mentioned the ability to export to various formats (ESRI, DWG, DXF, KMZ, etc) as well as the "copy to clipboard" command. I will be using Microstation to create a border for the exported graphics. I can get the graphic(flood impact map) with "copy to clipboard" but it is still quite grainy using a scale factor of 10. What would be a resonable scale factor?

Trying the other route, the displayed flood impact map falls under the "TIN" data folder. When attempting to export this data via ArcInfo, the following message appears "You can only export a GRASS or ArcInfo ASCII grid from a dataset associated with a 2D grid."

In the end, i need to create a flood impact maps for the existing and proposed conditions. These will be the shaded flood impact area over the aerial photo.

Can you offer any other suggestions?

Thanks, John

John,

What format are you trying to export? Are you trying to export your data as an Arc/Info grid? You will need to convert whatever dataset on your TIN that you want to export to a DEM to do that. To convert a specific dataset (i.e. your flood impact dataset) on your TIN to a DEM, you need to trick WMS into thinking that the specific dataset contains the TIN elevations. So here's how you would convert your TIN to a DEM:

1. Make your flood impact dataset active by selecting it in the project explorer.

2. Right-click on the flood impact dataset and select "Set as Elevations".

3. Right-click on your TIN and select Convert | TIN->DEM. Enter whatever value you want for your grid cell spacing. I'd select the same value for the X and Y cell size. DO NOT delete your TIN data when prompted (select NO).

4. Now right-click on your TIN elevation dataset and select "Set as Elevations" to set the elevations on the TIN back to the original elevations.

5. Select your DEM (From TIN), right-click on it, and select Save As... Save the DEM as an Arc/Info grid. You can then read the ArcInfo grid into ArcMap (enable the spatial analyst) or whatever program will read an ArcInfo grid.

There are lots of other options for exporting. If you have the contour lines showing the flood impacts displayed on your TIN, you can select Data->CAD in the Map Module | CAD menu and then export your data as a .dwg or .dxf file so you can read it into AutoCAD. You could also convert your contour lines to arcs in the map module and export a shapefile. You can also save your original TIN as a LandXML file by selecting your TIN and making your flood impact dataset (or whatever dataset you want) as the elevations, right-clicking on your TIN, and saving it as an XML file. You should also be able to export your contours to a Google Earth vector file. There are lots of different options.

As for what resolution to use for copying to the clipboard, you can use whatever resolution you need. Higher resolution images take longer and more memory to generate.