GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JKM

Reading in HEC-RAS results

Are there any tricks to reading in HEC-RAS results? My model is an unsteady RAS model with over 100 cross sections. I'm following the process in the tutorial "Hydraulics and Floodplain Modeling - Floodplain Delineation" but when I initiate the read-in, it never comes. As a test I'm using the actual tutorial files to follow the example, and the data seemingly never comes. Should this process take a long time? I must be missing something....John

I should mention that I am using the just released update and I'm expecting to pull the "MaxWS" result for each cross section.

After restarting my machine, I'm able to read in the solution. Next question is when reading in multiple solutions from multiple plans in a single RAS Project, how do you distinguish which plan you are reading in? Must you create a stand alone RAS project for each solution? Thanks!

JKM,

To answer your first set of problems, sometimes the ras.exe process keeps running even after you close HEC-RAS. Bring up the task manager and end the ras.exe process (make sure you don't have another HEC-RAS project open when you do this) and WMS should read your solution if it is not reading the solution. Restarting your computer killed any RAS processes you had running and fixed this problem for you, but it's the long way around.

Regarding your second question: WMS reads all your profiles as 2D Scattered Data in the project explorer. The datasets are labeled with the PF 1, PF 2 labels given in HEC-RAS. Before delineating the floodplain, you need to increase the number of water surface points using the interpolate commands under the River Tools menu in the map module. Using these commands increases the number of points in both your datasets. When you delineate the floodplain, there is a drop-down box that allows you to select which stage dataset you want to use to delineate. You can select one of your profiles and then the other. You will end up with two sets of flood depths and water surface elevations in your floodplain after the delineation.

If you are doing an unsteady simulation, the floodplain delineation will give you a transient dataset. You can step through the time steps in the dataset to view the change in floodplain as the flood wave travels through your floodplain. You could also export an animation using the TIN | Data | Film Loop menu command to an AVI file or to a KMZ file for viewing in Google Earth.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Chris

Thanks Chris....I see the transient data for the "one" simulation. However, the are multiple simulations within my one HEC-RAS project (existing and various proposed alternates). The "read solution" command only appear to read in one solution. If that is in fact the case, is it reading in the most recent plan data from RAS? I'm thinking I'll need a separate HECRAS project file for each solution. Can you confirm? Thanks, John

As a follow-up, no matter where the RAS files are stored, or which project I select from the RAS menu when the "read solution" process is started, I get the same solution read in. This is confirmed by doing a conversion > impact map and subtracting one profile from another. The result is zero......I'll keep trying...

JKM,

I'll have a look at this problem. Are you doing an unsteady RAS model? I tried it with a steady-state model and it read all the profiles. I have not tried it with an unsteady model, but I'll try it if that's what you are building. We will keep you up-to-date. You may need to build separate models until the problem is fixed. I will look at this today or tomorrow.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Yes, unsteady wuith multiple plans, each with multiple profiles. I can't seem to control (or be sure which) project plan and profiles are read in. Also, Once I get this issue sorted I need to start developing some presentation quality displays of flood impact maps, etc. What is the best way to extact maximum resolution graphics from WMS for this purpose?

Thanks for all the help....I'm in this deep....

JKM,

The easiest (not necessarily the best though) way to get an image of what you see on the screen is to use the Copy to Clipboard command from the Edit menu. You can define a scale factor for copying your image to the clipboard. Select a high scale factor if you're putting your image in a poster presentation or if you want a print-quality image.

There are some programs that offer better layout capabilities than WMS does. You could export your data to a format that can be read by the alternative program and make a map in the other program. There are several formats that can be exported, including ESRI shapefiles, DWG, DXF, and KMZ. You can also export individual datasets like DEMs and data under the GIS Data folder to various formats by right-clicking on the data and selecting "Export" or "Save Digital Elevation File".

There is also a standard Print function which should work with any Windows-compatible printer.

I am still looking at the problem with Plan data. We do not read multiple RAS plans, only multiple profiles. But I may be able to support multiple plans in WMS.

Chris

JKM,

I have been looking into handling multiple plans in WMS. Implementing this will take some time, and we will put it on our project list. For now, the way to read multiple plans is to set one plan as your current plan in RAS and save and close the RAS program. Then go to WMS and read the solution. Rename your 2D Scatter Data set to your plan name and then go back to RAS, set to Plan #2, and save and close RAS. Then go back to WMS and read Plan #2. Keep doing this until all your plans are read. Then you can delineate the floodplain and do animations for each plan. Like I said, we will add this to our future project list, but it will be a month or so until we can get to it. Hopefully this provides a work around for you in the mean time.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I think I tried this but will have another look. Does it matter where the HEC-RAS files reside, relative to the WMS files? When the read solution command is executed, it automatically opens up a RAS project file. It looks like that solution is the one that is read in no matter if I change and save. It always goes back to that original project file, which is located on another drive.

I'll have another look but wanted to go ahead and get this addtional info out to you.

Thanks again, John

John,

I was thinking about this last night and would like to help you find a workaround. One approach I would recommend is to save each of your plans as separate project files. This will allow you to manage your plans as projects instead of as plans. WMS will just work better if you do this.

1. First, save all your plans as separate projects and delete all the plans except the plan you want to be associated with the project file from each of your project files.

2. Then, from WMS, select HEC-RAS | Set Project Filename from the river module menu. Set the project filename to the filename of the project containing the plan you want to read into WMS.

3. Now, select HEC-RAS | Read Solution and WMS will read the solution associated with your currently selected project.

4. Select the project filename containing your next plan and do steps 2 and 3 for that plan. Continue steps 2 and 3 for the rest of your plans/projects.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thank you Chris! Looks like that step 2 did the trick. Seems obvious now that I know it is there. I'm sure I'll have more for you before this is all said and done. Thanks again for all your help and have a fantastic weekend! John