GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cecilia

Grid creation and scatter points interpolation

Hello, I´m a new SMS/STWAVE user and I´m facing several problems to start my work. Probably their are basic problems but I don´t know how to go on.

The main objective of my work is to define wave hights at a western coastline, generated by winds blowing from multiple directions.

First, I have 2 .cst files (Eastern coastline and western coastline), and second I have a .xyz file, full of bathymetry points. I have opened all of them.

My problem is that I need to create a grid in order to run stwave, but I don´t know which sequency of actions should I do in order to define the grid frame, and then to interpolate the scattered points in order to have the depth values at each element of the grid.

I´ve tried different things, but I don´t understand why do I get different depth values for land elements. I think that land elements should all have negative values, shouldn´t they?

I hope someone can help me with this, thanks.

Hello, I´m a new SMS/STWAVE user and I´m facing several problems to start my work. Probably their are basic problems but I don´t know how to go on.

The main objective of my work is to define wave hights at a western coastline, generated by winds blowing from multiple directions.

First, I have 2 .cst files (Eastern coastline and western coastline), and second I have a .xyz file, full of bathymetry points. I have opened all of them.

My problem is that I need to create a grid in order to run stwave, but I don´t know which sequency of actions should I do in order to define the grid frame, and then to interpolate the scattered points in order to have the depth values at each element of the grid.

I´ve tried different things, but I don´t understand why do I get different depth values for land elements. I think that land elements should all have negative values, shouldn´t they?

I hope someone can help me with this, thanks.

Cecilia,

Try going through the tutorial for STWAVE. It can be found in the folder where SMS is installed on your computer, probably under program files. Look for the following file - "C:\Program Files\SMS 10.0\tutorials\Models\STWAVE\SMS_STWAVE.pdf". Instructions on how to define a grid frame can be found under section 3.1. Instructions for interpolating scatter points are under section 3.3.

Also, the depth values should be negative for land elements. Try going through the tutorial to identify the problem. If you have other questions contact technical support at support@aquaveo.com.

Todd Wood

Technical Support