GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Kai Li

how to change map vertex duplicate tolerance

When I'm trying to convert dxf data to map data, I lost some of the detail of the dxf data. The result seems being generalized. Can I change the map vertex duplicate tolerance to avoid losing information of dxf data?

There isn't a set duplicate tolerance for vertices unless you are using the clean command. I just created a map file with vertices within 1e-8 m. You're welcome to send your dxf file to support@aquaveo.com. We can take a look and see if there is a problem converting the file contents to feature objects.

You have raised a good question. When I look at this, it appears that objects less than 1.0e-3 are being merged. I will investigate where this tolerance is coming from.

What projection are you working in?

I just checked the code and there is a hard coded tolerance for coincident nodes set to 0.0001. As I said, it does not seem to impact feature nodes (ends of arcs), but it will impact stand alone feature points and probably feature vertices on an arc.

We will have to discuss this to determine if we need to expose this tolerance so the user can set it, remove it, or compute it in some way to be automatic.

Thank you for identifying this issue.

You have raised a good question. When I look at this, it appears that objects less than 1.0e-3 are being merged. I will investigate where this tolerance is coming from.

What projection are you working in?

I did not use any projection. I can understand that if I use projection, this precision issue may not affect me. But when I set the projection to geographic, SMS does not work well for me, it's easier to crash than no projection is specified.

By the way, I'm using SMS 10.1.11, and work with scalar paving density mode on large scale.

I just checked the code and there is a hard coded tolerance for coincident nodes set to 0.0001. As I said, it does not seem to impact feature nodes (ends of arcs), but it will impact stand alone feature points and probably feature vertices on an arc.

We will have to discuss this to determine if we need to expose this tolerance so the user can set it, remove it, or compute it in some way to be automatic.

Thank you for identifying this issue.

You are welcome! Anyway, I passed this issue by converting dxf to shapefile. But another problem is that when I working with shapefile, it is not correctly read sometimes. The current state of shapefile overlayed with previous shapefile edit history. I have to convert it to mapinfo tab file then convert back to avoid this issue. I'm using Quantium Gis Desktop 1.9 to generate shapefile, I have not checked whether it's the same with Arcgis Desktop.

I have removed the hardwired tolerance for converting CAD data to feature objects. That change is available in the next update (or nightly build).

We have been working on the projections for version 11.1. If you have steps that cause problems, I would love to get them reported so that you can work with the correct projection specified. This would allow you to use dynamic images and the project on the fly features. I understand that reporting such issues can be a nuisance. We are testing the system ourselves but we appreciate feedback from the community.

If you can send me a sample shapefile that is not read correctly, we will investigate this issue right away.

I have removed the hardwired tolerance for converting CAD data to feature objects. That change is available in the next update (or nightly build).

We have been working on the projections for version 11.1. If you have steps that cause problems, I would love to get them reported so that you can work with the correct projection specified. This would allow you to use dynamic images and the project on the fly features. I understand that reporting such issues can be a nuisance. We are testing the system ourselves but we appreciate feedback from the community.

If you can send me a sample shapefile that is not read correctly, we will investigate this issue right away.

Thank you for your support!

I'm using geographic wgs84 coordination in projection settings. I'm sorry that the stability problem related to projection is not easy to reproduce, it happend randomly for my understanding until now. I will report it when I found an easy way to reproduce it. I'm just starting to evaluate the new version of SMS v11.1.5. It works much better than before until now.

For the shapefile which is not displayed correctly, which email should I send the shape file to? I've send it to support@aquaveo.com. I hope you can get it.