GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sushban

Can't import online maps in WMS

I currently use WMS Version 9.1. I like the "Get Online Maps" and other added features in the new versions. Until recently, I was able to import "World Imagery" and "World Topo Map" but it's been few days when I try to import, error message (attached) pops up saying - "There was a problem loading online image. The Error ID is 20." However, I can still import "NAIP Color Imagery for US".

post-8397-0-12345800-1365689074_thumb.pn

Edited by Sushban

Sushban,

We have the same problem you are having with World Imagery, World Topo Map, and World Street Map imagery. I am sorry about the problems you are having. The work-around for now is to use any other kind of map that does not start with the name "World" (The MapQuest and the openstreetmap.org maps work fine, also the NAIP color imagery works). We are working on fixing this problem and will let you know as soon as the problem is fixed.

Chris

Good news,

I installed the latest version of WMS (9.1.5) and now I can import online maps including World Imagery and World Topo Maps like before. I wonder if the problem is totally fixed or if there is limited number of times I can access these maps before it becomes inaccessible.

Sushban,

You can access these maps as frequently as you would like and you should not have any problems. Like you mentioned, the problem has been fixed in the June 5 version (9.1.5) of WMS. Note that since other organizations host the servers, these servers can change at any time and they may become unavailable at some point, but we do not anticipate this happening in the near future. For now, the online images work fine.

We have added some modifications to WMS so a more appropriate error message appears if the server is no longer available.

Thanks,

Chris