GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JKM

Importing GIS Contours?

I'm building a fairly large WMS model that will use Dynamic HEC-RAS to model some bridge openings and do some pre and post floodplain delineation. I have a large dataset of 1 ft contours from the community that I would like to use to pull cross sections from as opposed to the course NED data. When I bring in the Contours, I see nothing. There is a similar shape file for bathemetry that comes in fine. Any thoughts?

Are the 1 ft contours in shapefile format? If you're using the latest version of WMS 9.1, there are a couple of options for reading shapefiles. If you can't read them one way, you could try the other. One way is to read the shapefile using File | Open. You can then convert your contours to arcs in the map module and then to TIN vertices from the arcs.

A faster way might be to read your shapefile using the File | Add Data | Add GIS Data menu command. This will read your shapefile as GIS vector data rather than a generic shapefile. You can then right-click on your GIS vector data in the project explorer and you will see several options in the right-click menu. Select the menu option to Convert To TIN. This should grab all the elevations from your contours and create a TIN out of them. I can't remember off the top of my head whether WMS automatically triangulates the TIN, so you might need to triangulate your TIN to get the elevations into your Cross Sections. If you don't have enough contour data to cover your entire model area, you would have to get some NED elevation data and get the elevations from the NED data. There are several ways of doing this...one would be to use the Get Data tool in WMS to grab the 10 M data. You could also go to the Earth Explorer web site and download some of the 3 M data that is available for several areas of the US.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have been advised from the source of the data that its' projection is:

Projected Coordinate System: NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Georgia_East_FIPS_1001_Feet

Projection: Transverse_Mercator

I cannot get the data to load no matter which method I use. Is there a way I can provide you with the 3.1 GB zip file that contains te data to see if you can load it? The files I have are .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp, and .shx

BTW, My name is John McWhorter. Robbie Frizzell and I are friends of Royd's and we have been out to Utah several times working with SMS.....

Thanks for the help!

John,

If the file size is 3.1 GB, it might be too large to handle on your computer. You can always try it though. When you read the .shp file using the Add GIS Data tool, it should automatically be converted to whatever projection you are working on since it has a .prj (projection) file with it. With the size of your shapefile, the problem could be that you're using the 32-bit version of WMS. You should use the 64-bit version and make sure your computer has enough RAM to handle the file you're trying to read. Even if you are able to read the shapefile, you might have trouble extracting the elevation data from the shapefile, depending on how many points your shapefile has. The triangulation algorithm used by WMS (GMS and SMS also) only supports 32-bit memory addresses, which have a limitation of between 2-3 GB of RAM. If you get into 64-bit memory addresses, your triangulation will fail. We are working on fixing this as we speak, but it will be at least a month or two before you could get a version that supports 64-bit memory addresses. The easiest way around this is to trim your TIN into several sections and then triangulate each section separately.

If you want to send me your file, you can put it on our ftp site at ftp://pubftp.aquaveo.com/incoming. Use an anonymous login and you should be able to throw your file in the incoming directory. Let me know on the forum when it's there. You could also contact the tech support team and they might be able to help you with your file. Like I said, though, it might be a struggle using your file because of its sheer size. It would be interesting to see what you have and see what we can do with it. Hopefully we can get your data working without too much frustration.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm posting the file now (ELEVATION_Contour_1ft.shp.zip) but It looks like it will take awhile. I'm running the latest build of 9.1 (64 bit) on a pretty strong 64 bit machine running Windows 7 Professional with 16GB of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro video card. I may be able to get the GIS provider to trim down the file. I'll look into that. I'd be interested to hear if you are able to load this file as is.

The transfer says 9 hours.

Thanks for all your help!

John

John,

I can't get anything to open your shapefile so I can view it. I wonder if there is some kind of problem with the shapefile. I tried opening it in ArcMap, WMS, and GlobalMapper. I could try to track down the problem with this shapefile, but I wonder if you or the person you obtained this shapefile from know what the problem might be?

If you could just get the XYZ points used to generate these contours or get an elevation grid, it would make it easier to use your data in WMS.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Same fate as mine. I have requested the points data. Thanks for the suggestion. This way I can import as scatter sets and give priority to the survey I have.

Chris,

I have received a DEM file from the GIS provider. This file is supposed to be purpose built for hydraulics use. The files are all .adf files, which I do not recognize. I am posting the file now (chatham.zip). He also gave me a bathymetry file in XYZ (Bathymetry.txt). Please take a look at these files. Thanks!

John

Could not get the new DEM on your site. Can I work with a DEM made up of .adf files? Here are the filenames: dblbnd.adf, hdr.adf, prj.adf, sta.adf then a log file, metadata file and a dozen or so files that appear to have the data, based on thier size. ( ex:w001000.adf) Please reply if you can. I need to make progress on this over the weekend....

Thanks!

John

John,

If you're using the latest version of WMS 9.1, I think you can import those files. I'm pretty sure it's an arcinfo binary grid, which you can import using the Add Data button in WMS. Try the Add Data button and let me know if you're able to read the file. After you get the file into WMS, it will display under the GIS Module data. Right-click on it and select the option to convert it to a DEM. Once you convert it to a DEM, you can use it for your hydraulic modeling. It might be best to convert it to a TIN and then filter your TIN because you can dramatically reduce the number of elevation points by filtering. There are right-click menus in the WMS project explorer for all the objects that have various menu items you can access. There are options to convert from GIS Raster Data (your current format) to DEMs and then from DEMs to TINs. You will need to read your file as a GIS Raster file, convert it to a DEM, and then convert it to a TIN for hydraulic modeling. You can do hydraulic modeling with DEMs, but you'll have lots more points on your cross sections and it might end up being a headache when you go to run HEC-RAS.

I'll try to respond here if you have any problems over the weekend.

Chris

P.S. It will be the largest file that you should be able to import into WMS. If you can import it into WMS, the file will show up in the Open File dialog after you select the Add GIS Data button. You can get to this by selecting the following menu: File | Add Data | Add GIS Data.... After the file browser comes up, you will need to go to your main data folder containing your ArcInfo grid and open the only file that shows up. Note that there should also be an "info" folder parallel to your grid folder that contains some grid header information. I think this info folder needs to be there also.

Chris

Hey Chris. I received a new trimmed down file and was able to get it imported and coverted to a DEM, but it won't run topaz. You mind taking a look? The file is uploading now "New Chatham".

Thanks!

Chris, I reloaded the file after the first attempt timed out. Looks ike this one is all there "New_Chatham2.zip". Please have a look to see if you can covert this to a DEM and run Topaz.

Just FYI, my current coordinate system is UTM, NAD83, Zone 17, Meters, since that is the way the Ga Quads come in. Before I generate HEC-RAS Cross sections I'll be looking to convert to English units....

Thanks!

John

John,

I am downloading your file. The best way to convert to English units is to go to the Edit | Current Projection menu and set your horizontal units to feet after reading your GIS Raster and before converting it to a DEM. Follow these steps:

1. Add your DEM as GIS data.

2. Set your current projection.

3. Right-click on your GIS raster data and select Convert to DEM. Specify your resolution and other information and wait for the DEM to convert.

Not sure why TOPAZ is not running. My guess is that it might be too big to run in TOPAZ or that TOPAZ is taking a very long time to run. Your best alternative is to try running TauDEM instead. You can access this option from the Drainage Module | DEM menu | Compute Flow Direction/Flow Accumulation option. Run TauDEM with multiple processors and it will run faster. I'd recommend using all the processors/cores available on your computer. Before running with multiple processors, you need to register MPIEXEC by clicking the button you'll see in the Flow Direction/Accumulation Run Options dialog. I'd also recommend disabling virus protection software when running TauDEM with multiple processors. I have found that virus protection can get in the way.

Chris

John,

I tried running your dataset with TauDEM. I think it will finish running, but it's using up all the memory on my i7 Quad-core 8GB hard drive computer. We have a computer with 24 GB of RAM here that it would probably run on without any problems. I have not tried running in TOPAZ, but I do not recommend using TOPAZ since it only uses a single processor and could take days, months, or years to finish running. TauDEM with MPI will probably finish in less than an hour, but I don't know for sure yet.

Are you sure you need to run TauDEM? It seems like you're building a hydraulic model, and I'm not sure TauDEM is necessary for your model since TauDEM is used to get flow directions and accumulations for watershed delineation.

I'd recommend reducing the number of points in your dataset. There are two ways of doing this. One way is to increase your DEM cell size/decrease the resolution of your DEM when you convert your Raster GIS to a DEM (Convert to DEM command). Another way is to trim your DEM. After you convert your Raster GIS to a DEM, right-click on your DEM and select the Trim menu item to draw a polygon around the cells with elevations you want to keep. You could use a combination of both approaches.

The problem right now is you are working with such large datasets that it's really increasing the amount of time it takes to run TauDEM. It will take lots of time converting your DEM to a TIN also (this may not even be possible with the size of your dataset). Decreasing the number of points by trimming out your model area/decreasing the resolution of your DEM will help.

Chris,

I have just received my requested TIN file from my GIS source. I uploaded ChathamTIN.zip. Please take a look to confirm that I should be able to use this file type.

Thanks!

John

John,

That is an ArcInfo TIN. WMS cannot read this format unless you have ArcGIS installed on your computer. If you have ArcGIS installed, you can read the TIN, but it cannot be converted to a WMS TIN. I recommend converting your TIN to LandXML format if possible and reading your LandXML TIN. This would be easiest for you.

WMS could also read XYZ points and triangulate them. It can read CAD-based TIN files also. It can also read contours from your TIN or you could convert your TIN to a grid and read the grid. There are lots of different ways of getting your TIN into WMS, but LandXML would best fit most people's needs. Make sure you're using the latest version of WMS, because the LandXML import capability was just added last year.

Chris

Chris,

I have been using a online source for my DEM/TIN information but I just recieved a GIS contour file from a new source. It is uploading to your ftp site now: SpringfieldContours.zip

Please have a look to see if you are able to convert this into a TIN for use in WMS.

Thanks!

John

John,

I tried looking at these contours but the .zip file asked me for a password when trying to unzip the file. You should be able to read the data using the Add GIS Data command from the File menu in WMS or just the File | Open command though. Let me know if you have any other troubles.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes the password is Ogeechee

Sorry about that. The line do drop in but I was not able to get it to a contoured tin. Let me know if goi are able too. Thank you!

Yes the password is Ogeechee

Sorry about that. The line do drop in but I was not able to get it to a contoured tin. Let me know if goi are able too. Thank you!

John,

I looked at your file. Sorry it has taken so long. Note that this is a very large shapefile and you will need at least 8 GB of RAM on your computer to work with the data. You also need to use the 64 bit version of WMS. The following also only works in the most recent download of WMS. It does not work in the February 22, 2013 version. So get the June 5 version from the WMS download page before attempting: http://www.aquaveo.com/downloads?tab=3#TabbedPanels

The best way to use your contours in WMS is to read them as generic GIS data and then convert the data directly to a TIN. Select File | Add Data | Add GIS Data. Then select your shapefile. Then right-click on the contours.shp shapefile under the GIS Data in the project explorer. Then select Convert to TIN. After the TIN is generated, turn off the TIN Triangles in the Display Options. These triangles take up lots of memory to display and you do not need to see them. Then you need to right-click on the TIN and select Triangles | Triangulate. After the TIN is triangulated, you will be able to display contours on your TIN.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris