GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Hydrology

CE-Qual-W2

Hydrology    3

Has anyone used WMS 8.0 for a CE-Qual-W2 model? I am trying to put a model together and I am having a lot of problems with WMS. WMS continually crashes and the save command does not seem to be saving the W2 model specific data that I enter. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems, and perhaps found a way around them.

Has anyone used WMS 8.0 for a CE-Qual-W2 model? I am trying to put a model together and I am having a lot of problems with WMS. WMS continually crashes and the save command does not seem to be saving the W2 model specific data that I enter. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems, and perhaps found a way around them.

I've used this model before and you can expect to run into a few bugs that haven't been fixed yet, but I've been able to find ways around most of them. Specifically, WMS seems to crash when working with the TINs and when using the Water Body Job Control dialog. Getting around the TIN crashes is just a trial and error thing, but to get around the Water Body Job Control dialog crash - just be aware that you can only enter this dialog once. So make sure you set up everything you need the first time you enter the dialog because if you try to enter it twice, the program will crash. Another tip: once you save out the bathymetry and control files, edit your files as needed in Notepad unless you're changing your segments and branches. It's just easier that way. Hopefully the bugs will get resolved soon. I hope this helps.

Clark

Hydrology    3
I've used this model before and you can expect to run into a few bugs that haven't been fixed yet, but I've been able to find ways around most of them. Specifically, WMS seems to crash when working with the TINs and when using the Water Body Job Control dialog. Getting around the TIN crashes is just a trial and error thing, but to get around the Water Body Job Control dialog crash - just be aware that you can only enter this dialog once. So make sure you set up everything you need the first time you enter the dialog because if you try to enter it twice, the program will crash. Another tip: once you save out the bathymetry and control files, edit your files as needed in Notepad unless you're changing your segments and branches. It's just easier that way. Hopefully the bugs will get resolved soon. I hope this helps.

Clark

Thanks for the response. That gives me some hope. I have also noticed that when I save the model and then reopen it to make some more changes, I find that a lot of the parameters have not been saved and I have to reenter them. It seems that you have to complete the WMS portion of the model in one sitting or you will have to redo alot of your branch and segment measuring and numbering work.

I also have what I believe is a simple technical question. I am modeling a reservoir with a spillway at the downstream end of the reservoir. I understand all the parameters on the SPILLWAYS Card, but I am not sure what the UPSTREAM Spillway and DOWNSTREAM Spillway cards do. The manual is not real clear. Are these two different types of spillways, or are they modiflying the characteristics for the spillway that I created with the SPILLWAYS Card?

Thanks for the response. That gives me some hope. I have also noticed that when I save the model and then reopen it to make some more changes, I find that a lot of the parameters have not been saved and I have to reenter them. It seems that you have to complete the WMS portion of the model in one sitting or you will have to redo alot of your branch and segment measuring and numbering work.

I also have what I believe is a simple technical question. I am modeling a reservoir with a spillway at the downstream end of the reservoir. I understand all the parameters on the SPILLWAYS Card, but I am not sure what the UPSTREAM Spillway and DOWNSTREAM Spillway cards do. The manual is not real clear. Are these two different types of spillways, or are they modiflying the characteristics for the spillway that I created with the SPILLWAYS Card?

Thanks for letting us know about these problems. We will check into the problem with WMS crashing when going into the water body job control twice. That should resolve most of the problems people have with setting up these models. We'll also check into the problem with saving/reading the layers and segments from the WMS project file. WMS currently does not save all the information to the WMS project file, it only saves it to the bathymetry file.

I'm not sure about the upstream and downstream spillways. You're right, the manual isn't too clear on it. I would suggest posting the question on the CE-QUAL-W2 forum maintained by Portland State University: http://w2forum.cee.pdx.edu/

Marina    0

I'm trying to do that, but I thought it would be easier. :(

I'm trying to do that, but I thought it would be easier. :(

Marina,

What problems are you running into specifically? Have you tried stepping through the CE-QUAL-W2 tutorials?

Marina    0

Well,

At least I've solved the problems with the control and bathymetry file,

but by now I reccomend to take a good sheet of those files (for example from an example of CE-QUAL-W2 files) and then modify and copy/paste the data obtained in WMS. Specially the bathymetry, the lenghts and the angles.

Doing this it would be easily.

best wishes

marina