GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

DIfference Orthogonal and General mode

Jeremy Croes

Dear all,

I have modelled two wells, one injecting and the other extracting.

(See the two pictures that I have attached).

There seems to be a difference between the side view in Orthogonal mode and the side view in a cross section that I made.

If I'm not mistaken the cross section shows the General mode.

In the cross section the fluctuations spread out more to the overlying layers than in the Orthogonal mode.

This means that there is a larger fluctuation in layers closer to the surface in the General mode than Orthogonal.

Can anyone explain the difference?

Besides this little problem, I also cannot display labels in the orthogonal mode.

Thanks for any insight.

post-8474-0-64509600-1361607676_thumb.pn

post-8474-0-97341500-1361607689_thumb.pn

MODFLOW only computes head values at the cell centers. When creating contours, GMS will divide each cell into multiple triangles and interpolate values to the triangle corners that not at the cell center. This contouring process is different in ortho mode that when you cut a cross section in general mode. So your issue here is really a discretization issue. If you had many more grid cells than you currently do then you would get to a point where you wouldn't see any difference between the two.

If you want to see only what MODFLOW has computed then I would look at the solution in Ortho mode with the block fill contour option (no interpolation occurs).

Not seeing the labels in Ortho mode may be a bug. You can contact support@aquaveo.com for some help on that one.

Archived